Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, Aug. 13th, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Aug. 13, 2015
- 9:30 a.m. – Gov. Dayton and other officials will hold a call with reporters to discuss their trade mission to Mexico.
- 10 a.m. – The legislative working group on Lake Mille Lacs will meet in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
- 11 a.m. – The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission will hold a meeting about the Great Northern Transmission Line at Timber Lake Lodge, 144 SE 17th St., Grand Rapids. The 220-mile long, 500-kilovolt line proposed by Minnesota Power would be used to carry to electricity from Manitoba Hydro. The line would cross the border in Roseau County and — with the exact route as yet undecided — probably cut across Beltrami, Koochiching and Lake of the Woods counties before reaching its terminus at the Blackberry Substation near Grand Rapids in Itasca County.
- 6 p.m. – The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission will hold a meeting about the Great Northern Transmission Line at Timber Lake Lodge, 144 SE 17th St., Grand Rapids. The 220-mile long, 500-kilovolt line proposed by Minnesota Power would be used to carry to electricity from Manitoba Hydro. The line would cross the border in Roseau County and — with the exact route as yet undecided — probably cut across Beltrami, Koochiching and Lake of the Woods counties before reaching its terminus at the Blackberry Substation near Grand Rapids in Itasca County.
Mark your calendars
- Aug. 15 – Training for DFL State Fair volunteers, 1 p.m., Minnesota DFL.
- Aug. 16 – SD44 DFL “Meet Your Neighbors” picnic, North Shelter, Parker’s Lake Park, 15505 County Rd 6, Plymouth, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Aug. 20 – The Hennepin County DFL Senior Caucus will meet at 12:30 p.m. at Maria’s Cafe, 1113 E Franklin Ave., Minneapols.
- Aug. 22 – A MN Seniors’ Legislative Issues Forum will be held at Wescott Library, 1340 Wescott Rd, in Eagan, from 2 – 4 p.m. The event is free and sponsored by The DFL CD 2 Outreach/Inclusion Committee and DFL Southwest Metro Senior Caucus. Sen. John Marty (DFL-Roseville), Sen. Jim Carlson (DFL-Eagan), Sen. Kevin Dahle (DFL-Northfield), Rep. Debra Hilstrom (DFL-Brooklyn Center), and Rep. Sandy Masin (DFL-Eagan) will speak about legislation benefiting seniors’ income, health, transit, and housing, as well as advocacy that can be done for upcoming legislative efforts.
- Aug. 22 – The DFL African American Caucus will meet. Time and location TBD.
- Aug. 26 – The Herstoric March on Women’s Equality Day will start at St. Stephen and the Incarnation Episcopal Church in Washington D.C. following the 8 a.m. blessing of the walkers. Many will accompany Helene de Boissiere Swanson for the final four miles of this 7,000 mile spiritual pilgrimage to the U.S. Capitol to promote the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. The four-mile route passing the White House and on to the Upper Senate Park at National Mall where top feminists and human rights activists will hold a press conference, and then rally for the ERA.
- Aug. 29 – The Democratic National Committee (DNC) Seniors Coordination Council will meet at the Hilton Minneapolis Hilton at 1001 Marquette Ave. S. from 10 a.m. to noon. Admission is free. For more information contact DFL Senior Caucus Vice Chair Karla Sand at .
- DNC presidential primary debates
- Oct. 13 – CNN – Nevada
- Nov. 14 – CBS/KCCI/Des Moines Register – Des Moines, IA
- Dec. 19 – ABC/WMUR – Manchester, NH
- Jan. 17 – NBC/Congressional Black Caucus Institute – Charleston, SC
- February or March – Univision/Washington Post – Miami, FL
- February or March – PBS – Wisconsin
2015 legislative session
‘A missed opportunity’: DFL leaders touring northwest Minnesota to talk legislative priorities, Grand Forks Herald
CNN / ORC Poll: Clinton remains strong in Iowa, CNN
CNN / ORC Poll: Trump tops in Iowa as Scott Walker drops, CNN
Trump, like Ventura? Dudes, your day has come again, Star Tribune
Ventura says he’s rooting for Trump, open to being his vice president, Pioneer Press
Seven GOP candidates who could drop from ’16 race before Iowa, The Hill
‘Regular guy’ style costs Walker in polls, The Hill
It’s not just Trump: Voter anger fuels other candidates, The Washington Post
Martin O’Malley will unveil his list of “15 goals to rebuild the American Dream” during a speech on The Soapbox at the Iowa State Fair today. He’s spending the next three weeks traveling the state. The Washington Post
Affordable Care Act
Health care law hasn’t dented hiring or hours, as critics predicted, Star Tribune
Number of uninsured has declined by 15 million since 2013, administration says, New York Times
Rep. Rod Hamilton introduced ‘ag gag’ bill before secret videos of alleged animal abuse at Christensen Farms,Star Tribune
Near Madeline Island, fight looms over hog feedlot, Star Tribune
Former President Jimmy Carter says he has cancer and it has spread, CNN
Sen. Franken delivers Meals on Wheels, KAAL
46 states saw young white population decline: This shift will ripple through the working-age population. The National Journal
U.S. stocks wobble after a second day of weakening in China’s currency, then recover lost ground, Star Tribune
What capitalism has to fear from inequality, Star Tribune
Minnesota’s upbeat fiscal story pays off, Star Tribune
The U.S. Labor Department announced that total hiring rose 2.3 percent to 5.18 million in June, the most in six months and second-highest total since the recession ended in June 2009, per the AP. “Employers posted fewer job openings, but that figure has risen strongly in the past year. And more people quit their jobs, which is a good sign because many people quit when they have new jobs lined up, typically at higher pay.” The Washington Post
Some Gophers boosters blame UMN president for athletics director ‘mess’, Pioneer Press
Indigenous Peoples Day
St. Paul council passes resolution renaming Columbus Day, Pioneer Press
Democrats take Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson down a peg, MinnPost
Critics question wisdom of a Minnesota walleye and other bailouts, Star Tribune
Major League Soccer
St. Paul soccer stadium ‘closer to a plan than a hope’, Pioneer Press
A pitch for the pitch: St. Paul officials go all in wooing Major League Soccer, MinnPost
Kentucky clerk ordered to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, The Washington Post
Mexican Trade Mission
MnSCU signs partnership agreements with universities in Mexico, Star Tribune
MNsure software upgrades due later this month, Star Tribune
WH warns states: Defunding Planned Parenthood might break law, The Hill
‘Defunding’ Planned Parenthood is easier promised than done, MPR
The amazing, shrinking Sesame Street, MPR
Sex offender program
Federal judge demands swift action on reforming Minnesota’s sex offender program, Star Tribune
Wilhelmina Wright’s chances in Congress for federal judgeship said to be good, Star Tribune
The Minnesota Vikings and Minnesota State University, Mankato, have reached agreement on a three-year extension for the Vikings to continue holding training camp on the Minnesota State Mankato campus…The agreement means the Vikings will train at Minnesota State University, Mankato, beyond 50 years, or more than one-third of the lifetime of the institution that began as Mankato Normal School in 1868 and will celebrate its 150th year in 2017. morning take
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news
<< Daily Brief: Friday, Aug. 14th, 2015 (Happy Birthday Social Security!)