Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, Jan. 5th, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Feb. 5, 2015
- Jewish and Muslim youth participate in second annual “Jewish-Muslim Youth Day at the Capitol.”
- 9:15 a.m. – News conference to demand an end to racial disparities in Minnesota’s juvenile justice system. Room 181, Minnesota State Office Building, St. Paul.
- 11 a.m. – The Senate is in session.
- Noon – Gov. Dayton will host Angela Harvala for lunch at the Governor’s Residence. Harvala is a recipient of this year’s Milken Educator Award for outstanding performance in teaching.
- Noon – Howling for Wolves to announce 2015 legislative agenda, hold media availability during “2015 Wolf Day at the Capitol.” Noon-1 p.m. Room 300 North, State Office Building.
- 1 p.m. – Rep. Steve Drazkowski (R-Mazeppa) and Sen. Lyle Koenen (DFL-Clara City) will unveil their Minnesota Family Farm Protection Act legislation. Members of the Minnesota Farm Bureau and Minnesota Farmers Union will also attend.
- 3:30 p.m. – The House is in session.
- 5:30 p.m. – Mayor Betsy Hodges will unveil a new plaque in Minneapolis City Hall that commemorates the state’s first legal same-sex weddings that were performed on August 1, 2013 at City Hall. Sixty-seven couples said ‘I do’ that night, after Minnesota became the 12th state in the nation to legally recognize the freedom to marry for same-sex couples. The plaque is located in the Rotunda of Minneapolis City Hall, where the first weddings took place.
- 6 p.m. – Lt. Governor Smith will provide remarks at the unveiling of the Marriage Equality Plaque at Minneapolis City.
- 6:30 p.m. DNR public meeting on deer population goal-setting. Century High School Cafeteria-auditorium, 501 Helton Ave, Park Rapids.
- 6:30 p.m. – DNR public meeting on deer population goal-setting. Spring Lake Township, Town Hall Community Center, 20381 Fairlawn Ave., Prior Lake.
- 10 a.m. – Congressman Rick Nolan will host a Transportation Forum at Cambridge City Hall, 300 3rd Ave. NE, Cambridge.
- 9 a.m. – The DFL Veterans Caucus will meet. Choir Room, Monticello Middle School, 800 E. Broadway St., Monticello.
- 10:30 a.m. – The State Central Committee holds its Business Conference, Monticello Middle School, 800 E. Broadway St., Monticello.
- 9 a.m. – Congressman Rick Nolan will host a Transportation Forum at Baxter City Hall, 13190 Memorywood Dr., Baxter.
- 3 p.m. – Congressman Rick Nolan will host a Transportation Forum at Duluth City Hall, 411 W 1st St., Duluth.
Jeb Bush continues to test campaign waters in Detroit, MPR
Jeb Bush sounds general election themes. Will they work in the primaries? The Washington Post
Eyeing 2016, Walker adds veteran operatives to political team, CNN
Bush moves to show he’s no Romney, Politico
Blue Alert system
Proposed Blue Alert system works like Amber Alert for cop shooters, Fox 9
Grants help bring high-speed Internet to underserved, Brainerd Dispatch
Coming to your Facebook feed: More political videos, New York Times
Second defeat for GOP on homeland, immigration bill, KSTP
Franken praises new net neutrality proposal, MPR
FCC may set open Internet regulations to rein in big providers, Star Tribune
Net neutrality: Franken hails FCC chair’s move toward Internet service as utility, MinnPost
GOP taps Kline to draft ‘Obamacare’ alternative, MPR
Rep. Nolan: No to fast track for TPP, Mesabi Daily News
Debate to lower drinking age is back at Minnesota Capitol, KSTP
House Republicans question Dayton’s early-education proposals, Pioneer Press
Universal pre-K? Expensive and of dubious purpose, Pioneer Press
Governor’s proposed pre-K options get mixed reaction, Session Daily
Letter shows MnSCU union asked trustees to fire chancellor, Pioneer Press
Senate DFL education plan grows larger, MPR
Minnesota DFL senators want $500 million for education package, Star Tribune
Senate DFLers call for $500M in new education spending, Pioneer Press
Savings offered in Minnesota’s solar boom, KARE
As climate changes, cities grapple with big rains, MPR
Bill pushes parents of minors to take marriage dissolution course before divorce cases proceed,Star Tribune
GOP lawmakers would replace Obama health overhaul with tax credits, more state powers, Star Tribune
Republicans want White House’s Plan B on Obamacare, The Hill
What would happen if House Republicans actually repealed the Affordable Care Act? The White House
Local business people weigh in on future of jobs for Minnesota Millennials, WCCO
Minnesota AFL-CIO podcast features labor news, Workday Minnesota
Today in history:
Peterson and Sparks give an insider’s view of the Legislature, MPR
AP-GfK Poll: Most think wedding businesses should be allowed to refuse service to gay couples,Star Tribune
New plaque at Minneapolis City Hall to mark same-sex marriages, Pioneer Press
Sponsor of original MNsure bill proposes overhaul, MPR
[Republican] Senator says restaurant employees shouldn’t be required to wash their hands,Washington Post
Smoking ban linked to dramatic drop in secondhand smoke exposure, MinnPost
The case for mandatory vaccinations, MinnPost
News Guide: Net neutrality and what it could mean to your life online – and your pocketbook, Star Tribune
Clip shortage forces MnDOT to curtail MnPASS signups until April, Star Tribune
MnDOT tells motorist what to expect with major Hwy 100 renovation, KSTP
Veterans Suicide Prevention Measure an important step toward ending vet suicide, Brainerd Dispatch
daily brief · issues · news