Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Wednesday, Jan. 6th, 2016
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief
In the Know Minnesota DFL
Jan. 6, 2016
307 days until the general election
- 10 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will hold a media availability.
- 10 a.m. – The Governor’s Task Force on Broadband meets.
Mark your calendars
- Jan. 7 – The Minnesota State Retiree Council, AFL-CIO will host a workshop for people who want to know more about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and how to talk with others about the future of these important Safety Net programs. 1 – 4 p.m., AFL-CIO office. Information about the event is available here.
- Jan. 7 – Legislative Working Group on Real ID compliance will meet at 10 a.m.
- Jan. 7 – Sen. Franken travels to New Hampshire to kick off Hillary for New Hampshire grassroots events.
- Jan. 9 – Stonewall DFL membership meeting, 11 a.m., DFL HQ.
- Jan. 9 – DFL Environmental Caucus Meeting, 11 a.m., Maplewood Library, 3025 Southlawn Dr., Maplewood.
- Jan. 9 – Candidates for the DFL endorsement in CD 2 will take part in a forum at the Scott County Library in Prior Lake.
- Jan. 10 – Candidates for the DFL endorsement in CD 2 will take part in a forum at the Hastings City Hall.
- Jan. 12 – President Obama’s last State of the Union address.
- Jan. 13 – Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook, Rep. Rob Ecklund, DFL-International Falls, and Rep. Jason Metsa, DFL-Virginia, will hold a town hall with local officials, and Department of Employment and Economic Development officials for those effected by the downturn in the steel industry. 6 p.m., ReUnion Hall, 97 Outer Drive, Silver Bay.
- Jan. 18 – Gov. Mark Dayton’s Council on the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday State Wide Celebration will hold an event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in St. Paul. The keynote speaker is Talila A. Lewis, founder of Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf (HEARD). Join us to hear Talila’s message on the crossectionality of race, disability, and gender and its role in today’s justice system.
- Jan. 27 – The Minnesota Young DFL will kick off 2016 with a debate watch party and fundraiser at Legends Bar and Grill in Minneapolis.
- Jan. 29 – Congressional District 2 DFL will host A Taste of Mardi Gras. The event takes place from 7 – 11 p.m. at Neisen’s Bar & Grill, 4851 W 123rd St., Savage. Suggested contribution is $40 and tickets can be purchased online at www.dflcd2.com.
- Jan. 30 – Senate District 47 DFL will host a fundraiser from 5-7 p.m. Secretary of State Steve Simon is a guest speaker. The $15 event, which includes a light dinner with beverages available for purchase, will be held at a private residence in Victoria, so a RSVP is required due to space limitations. Information about the event can be obtained from Mary Leizinger at or .
- Feb. 12 – Humphrey-Mondale Dinner featuring Hillary Clinton, Martin O’Malley and Bernie Sanders. St. Paul RiverCentre. Tickets available here.
- Feb. 19 – Congressional District 5 DFL will host its Heart of the Party fundraiser. 7 p.m., 301 on Main, Minneapolis. There is free parking adjacent to the building in an open surface lot. Tickets are $35.
- March 12 – Senate District 63 DFL hosts its annual Spaghetti Dinner. 5 p.m., location TBD.
GOP state Sen. Thompson won’t seek new term, MPR
Lakeville Sen. Dave Thompson won’t seek new term, Pioneer Press
Rep. Simonson to run for DFL Sen. Reinert’s northeastern Minnesota seat, Star Tribune
DFLer Lawrence ends CD2 bid, MPR
DFLer Mary Lawrence exits Second Congressional District race, Star Tribune
Mary Lawrence drops out of CD 2 race, Pioneer Press
Mary Lawrence withdraws from Second District congressional race, MinnPost
DFL race to replace Rep. Kline narrows as Mary Lawrence ends campaign, The UpTake
Cash-rich super PACs prolong flagging presidential campaigns, Pioneer Press
Trump: I’ll close deal and win nomination, The Hill
Increasingly, Iowans say their caucuses are Ted Cruz’s to lose, New York Times
Trump says Cruz’s Canadian birth could be ‘very precarious’ for GOP, Washington Post
Donald Trump goes ‘birther’ on Ted Cruz, MPR
2016 special election primary
Endorsement: Experienced Jim Abeler in special election, Star Tribune
Minnesota and other Midwest manufacturers take it on the chin in December, Star Tribune
Town hall to focus on steel industry, International Falls Journal
St. Paul teen gets house arrest for attack on teacher at Central High, Star Tribune
Probation for St. Paul teenager who slammed, choked teacher, Pioneer Press
Duluth, Fargo vie to be nation’s most conservative city (on energy), MPR
Minnesota mother invited to Obama’s gun control speech, WCCO
Obama: U.S. doesn’t have to accept ‘carnage as the price of freedom,’ MPR
Obama’s action on guns may have little effect, in Minnesota and elsewhere, MPR
Obama initiative on gun control shows limits of acting alone, MPR
Tears streaking his cheeks, President Barack Obama launched a final-year push to tighten sales of firearms in U.S., Star Tribune
GOP scrambles for response on guns, The Hill
Emotional Obama unveils new executive actions on gun control, The Hill
In Minnesota, response on Obama’s gun orders follows party lines, Star Tribune
President Obama reinterprets the definition of a gun dealer, Star Tribune
How the Koch network rivals the GOP, Politico
The Minnesota Legislature is going to look a lot different a year from now, MinnPost
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
Stassen-Berger: State staffer’s emails on pipeline spark investigation, Pioneer Press
Norton not ready to leave political spotlight yet, Rochester Post Bulletin
New year, more money for nursing homes, Rochester Post Bulletin
Conservation groups denounce Oregon occupiers, saying this is not what Republican Teddy Roosevelt envisioned at all, Washington Post
Political Contribution Refund program
The Campaign Finance Board made a recommendation to Legislature to pass disclosure bill that didn’t move last year, and to reinstate the political contribution tax refund program. Star Tribune
Protest movements, guns and double standards in America, Star Tribune
AARP ranks Minnesota as best state to retire in, Duluth News Tribune
Dayton takes issue with GOP timeline for upgrading IDs, MPR
Dayton, House GOP clash over Real ID timeline, Pioneer Press
Draft language from House GOP would push Real ID implementation to 2018, Star Tribune
Senate Office Building
Controversial Senate Office Building opens Thursday, KSTP
Agreement on special session unclear, Duluth News Tribune
Political Notebook: An answer to the special session question, Rochester Post Bulletin
State of the Union
Laid-off Minnesota steelworker to attend State of the Union speech with Klobuchar, MinnPost
Lt. Gov. Tina Smith unveils road project grants, pushes for transportation funding, Star Tribune
U.S. senators bet state favorites on Vikings-Seahawks game, Star Tribune
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news