Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, Jan. 7, 2016
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief
In the Know
Jan. 7, 2016
306 days until the general election
- 8 a.m. – Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Council meets in Room 5 of the State Office Building.
- 10 a.m. – Legislative Working Group on Real ID compliance will meet in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
- Noon – The Mining & Outdoor Recreation Policy Iron Range Unemployment Legislative Working Group will meet in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
- 1 p.m. – The Minnesota State Retiree Council, AFL-CIO will host a workshop for people who want to know more about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and how to talk with others about the future of these important Safety Net programs. 1 – 4 p.m., AFL-CIO office. Information about the event is available here.
- 3 p.m. – The Legislative Working Group on Economic Disparities in Minnesota will meet in Room 1200 in the Senate Legislative Office Building.
- Sen. Franken travels to New Hampshire to kick off Hillary for New Hampshire grassroots events.
Mark your calendars
- Jan. 8 – A group of public-sector workers from Minnesota will explain how their unions benefit the general public at a news conference on Friday, just days before the U.S. Supreme Court hears arguments in a case that would undermine workers’ rights in ways similar to right-to-work laws recently passed in Wisconsin and other states. 10 a.m., Minnesota Fire Fighters’ Museum.
- Jan. 9 – Stonewall DFL membership meeting, 11 a.m., DFL HQ.
- Jan. 9 – DFL Environmental Caucus Meeting, 11 a.m., Maplewood Library, 3025 Southlawn Dr., Maplewood.
- Jan. 12 – President Obama’s last State of the Union address.
- Jan. 13 – Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook, Rep. Rob Ecklund, DFL-International Falls, and Rep. Jason Metsa, DFL-Virginia, will hold a town hall with local officials, and Department of Employment and Economic Development officials for those effected by the downturn in the steel industry. 6 p.m., ReUnion Hall, 97 Outer Drive, Silver Bay.
- Jan. 18 – Gov. Mark Dayton’s Council on the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday State Wide Celebration will hold an event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in St. Paul. The keynote speaker is Talila A. Lewis, founder of Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf (HEARD). Join us to hear Talila’s message on the crossectionality of race, disability, and gender and its role in today’s justice system.
- Jan. 27 – The Minnesota Young DFL will kick off 2016 with a debate watch party and fundraiser at Legends Bar and Grill in Minneapolis.
- Jan. 29 – Congressional District 2 DFL will host A Taste of Mardi Gras. The event takes place from 7 – 11 p.m. at Neisen’s Bar & Grill, 4851 W 123rd St., Savage. Suggested contribution is $40 and tickets can be purchased online at www.dflcd2.com.
- Jan. 30 – Senate District 47 DFL will host a fundraiser from 5-7 p.m. Secretary of State Steve Simon is a guest speaker. The $15 event, which includes a light dinner with beverages available for purchase, will be held at a private residence in Victoria, so a RSVP is required due to space limitations. Information about the event can be obtained from Mary Leizinger at or .
- Feb. 12 – Humphrey-Mondale Dinner featuring Hillary Clinton, Martin O’Malley and Bernie Sanders. St. Paul RiverCentre. Tickets available here.
- Feb. 19 – Congressional District 5 DFL will host its Heart of the Party fundraiser. 7 p.m., 301 on Main, Minneapolis. There is free parking adjacent to the building in an open surface lot. Tickets are $35.
- March 12 – Senate District 63 DFL hosts its annual Spaghetti Dinner. 5 p.m., location TBD.
Congressman Ellison endorses Angie Craig, KSTP
Darlene Miller enters GOP race for Congressional District 2, Pioneer Press
DFL field open for Craig in CD2, MPR
Sen. Franken, Rep. Ellison, Tim Walz throw support behind Angie Craig, Star Tribune
Craig consolidates DFL support after Lawrence ends campaign, Pioneer Press
Mills targeting Nolan, Iron Range voters in 8th District race, Duluth News Tribune
Veepstakes cloud Senate GOP hopes of preserving majority, The Hill
Why Ted Cruz ‘birthers’ are not the same as Obama birthers, Washington Post
Burlington police say Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has issued 20,000 tickets for his event Thursday at a Vermont venue with only 1,400 seats, Star Tribune
Can anyone stop Cruz in Iowa? Star Tribune
Fearing Trump and Cruz, Republicans look to Rubio, The Hill
Clinton, Sanders, O’Malley seek victory in Nevada caucuses, AP
Affordable Care Act
House passes ObamaCare repeal, sending measure to president, The Hill
Counterpoint: Actually, health care reform is working, Star Tribune
House Democrats are running out of future leaders, Washington Post
Macy’s to cut up to 4,800 jobs after disappointing holiday sales, Star Tribune
South Washington County school levy passes with judge’s ruling; appeal likely, Pioneer Press
Minnesota school integration proposal advances despite opposition, Pioneer Press
Mills opposes Obama gun control measures, Nolan supports, Brainerd Dispatch
Gov. Dayton: We want to be in full compliance of Obama’s executive order, Star Tribune
Trump rails against Obama’s executive gun action, Star Tribune
Marco Rubio’s claim that Obama wants to ‘take away our guns,’ Washington Post
Alabama chief justice orders judges to enforce ban on same-sex marriage, MPR
Minnesota not on the hook for miner unemployment extension, Fargo Forum
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
Mark Dayton: Concerned staffer may have ‘crossed line’ on pipeline, Pioneer Press
Report: Regulator’s emails disparaged Sandpiper project, MPR
REAL ID progress, blame and FAQs for Minnesota, Fox 9
MN enhanced IDs may meet standards, but paperwork is a drawback for some, MPR
With Dayton and Daudt frustrated, hopes of a special session fade, WCCO
Mark Dayton, GOP’s Kurt Daudt clash over special session, Pioneer Press
MN special session plans fade with GOP, Dayton at odds, MPR
At GOP gathering, Speaker casts doubt on special session, MinnPost
Dayton, Daudt spar over special session, Star Tribune
New St. Croix River bridge now won’t open until late 2017, Star Tribune
Eagan company’s gear will warm Vikings, Seahawks in Sunday’s subzero temps, Star Tribune
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news