Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Wednesday, Sept. 2nd, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Sept. 2, 2015
- 11 a.m. – Congressman Tim Walz visits the DFL booth at the State Fair.
- Noon – House Minority Leader Paul Thissen visits the DFL booth at the Minnesota State Fair.
- 1 p.m. – Sen. Al Franken and Sen. Tammy Baldwin discuss concerns over expansion of oil trains traveling through their states. Roundtable discussion at 1 p.m. Firefighters Hall and Museum, 664 22nd Ave. N.E., Minneapolis.
- 2 p.m. – NAMI Minnesota (National Alliance on Mental Illness) and leading mental health organizations will hold news conference supporting People Incorporated’s plan to move the Diane Ahrens mental health crisis residence from 1593 Hewitt Avenue to the site of a former convent at 1784 La Crosse Ave., St. Paul.
- 3 p.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will present a proclamation at the Minnesota State Fair, celebrating Minnesota’s craft brewers and wineries, and their contributions to the state’s economy and tourism. Minnesota Wine Country, Underwood Street between Carnes and Judson, State Fairgrounds.
- 4 p.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will be interviewed by Star Tribune writer Lori Sturdevant in front of a live audience at the Minnesota State Fair. Star Tribune booth, Carnes Ave. and Nelson St., State Fairgrounds.
- 4 p.m. – Republican Party State Chairman Keith Downey has media availability at Minnesota State Fair. MNGOP State Fair Booth, 1702 Carnes Ave., State Fairgrounds.
- 5 p.m. – House Assistant Minority Leader Erin Murphy visits the DFL booth at the Minnesota State Fair.
- 5 p.m. Lt. Gov. Smith will draw a winner for the Department of Higher Education’s college savings drawing and discuss the importance of saving for college. WCCO TV Booth, Carnes Ave. and Nelson St., State Fairgrounds.
Mark your calendar
- Sept. 4 – DFL Chairman Ken Martin will take part in taping “Almanac” before a live audience at the TPT booth at the State Fair at noon.
- Sept. 6 – Congressman Keith Ellison will host his annual Labor Day Picnic. Noon, Wabun Park, 4655 46th Ave. S, Minneapolis, Picnic Area D. Please RSVP www.keithellison.org/2015laborbbq Donations will be accepted for the Second Harvest Food Shelf.
GOP presidential hopeful Rubio coming for MN fundraiser, MPR
3 ways September could be a challenging month for Trump, MPR
Is this campaign season less civil than previous ones? MPR
How many investigations does Hillary need to worry about? Five, for now, The Washington Post
Sen. Warren: VP bid is ‘something I’m not talking about,’ WCVB
How Carly Fiorina earned a spot on the big stage at the GOP debate, The Washington Post
Rules change to vault Carly Fiorina in the top tier for Sept. 16 debate, Star Tribune
Woz comes out for Bernie Sanders, c/net
Romney is horrified by Trump — and that’s restarting ‘Mitt 2016’ talk, New York
It’s who you know: the Minnesota delegation’s ties to the Democratic presidential field, MinnPost
The rise of Trump (and Carson and Fiorina) shows just how central anti-government thinking is to the Republican Party, MinnPost
In latest policy proposal, O’Malley calls for expansion of national service, The Washington Post
Rand Paul mocks Scott Walker over ‘dumb’ Canadian border wall, The Washington Post
Howard Dean: The case for Hillary Clinton, The Washington Post
Why you’re electing a new Supreme Court, and not a President, in 2016, Daily News Bin
“He attacks me every day with barbarities,” Jeb, speaking about Trump, told reporters in Spanish during an appearance in Miami. “He doesn’t have a career that you could say is conservative. And beyond that, he personalizes everything. If you’re not totally in agreement with him, you’re an idiot, or stupid, or you don’t have energy or ‘blah blah blah.’ That’s what he does.” The Washington Post
Black Lives Matter
Black Lives Matter protest at governor’s residence draws smaller crowd, MPR
Daudt: Black Lives Matter protesters ‘incredibly disrespectful’ to police, MPR
Mark Dayton: Black Lives Matter’s ‘pigs’ chant a ‘terrible thing to say’ Pioneer Press
The next time someone says ‘all lives matter, show them these 5 paragraphs, Fusion
Sen. Amy Klobuchar signs new book in Duluth, Northland News Center
Klobuchar visits Northland for book signing, WDIO
Does Gov. Mark Dayton’s often-tense relationship with legislators help or hurt him? MinnPost
Target lays off 235 in Twin Cities tech operations, 40 in India, Star Tribune
An early assessment of business along the Green Line, Pioneer Press
State identifies 119 schools making significant progress in closing achievement gaps, Star Tribune
Lawmakers can help high school students get a jump-start on college, Star Tribune
In Alaska wilderness, Obama stares down melting glacier to sound alarm on climate change, Star Tribune
Health care insurance
Lawmakers seek MinnesotaCare, Medicaid contracts delay after UCare dropped, MPR
Walter Mondale: Fair Housing Act has unfinished business, Pioneer Press
Documentary: Examining the Nuclear Deal with Iran, MPR
Obama now just one vote shy of securing Iran deal, The Washington Post
Ellison joins home care work on the job, Workday Minnesota
Hundreds join Teamster picket at University of Minnesota, Workday Minnesota
Steelworkers continue bargaining with ArcelorMittal, U.S. Steel, Workday Minnesota
Today in history
Lawmakers accused of ‘making out’ in Eagan park, strongly deny accusations, Pioneer Press
Lawmakers deny allegations of ‘making out’ at Eagan Park, KSTP
Marriage licenses in Kentucky
The defiant Kim Davis, the Ky. clerk who refuses to issue gay marriage licenses, The Washington Post
GOP nominee for Ky. governor backs clerk’s defiance, USA Today
Rand Paul says KY clerk’s gay marriage protest is ‘part of the American way,’ The Washington Post
About 4 years ago, clerk in gay marriage fight was unlikely candidate to wage moral war, Star Tribune
PolyMet mine water could flow northward, toward BWCA, Star Tribune
ND Lt. Gov. Wrigley admits affair, still mulling run for governor, Fargo Forum
Bills targeting Planned Parenthood funding up for hearing in Wisc., KSTP
Al Franken, Tammy Baldwin: Avoiding an oil train explosion shouldn’t be a matter of luck, Star Tribune
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news