Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Tuesday, Oct. 13th, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Oct. 13, 2015
- 8 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at a forum concerning the Environmental Initiative’s Clean Power Plan: Shaping Minnesota’s Response. Hamline University, Klas Center.
- 9:30 a.m. – The Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx are hosting a press conference to announce details of a new major partnership extension with Target. The announcement is being held on the actual 25th anniversary date of the opening of Target Center.
- 11 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will celebrate the expansion of Interstate 94 and the opening of a FedEx Ground facility in Rogers, FedEx Ground, 19705 Rogers Dr., Rogers.
- 11:30 a.m. – North Metro Senior Caucus, Little Venetian Inn. The featured speaker will be from MYDFL.
- Noon – Lt. Gov. Smith will attend the Northside Achievement Zone’s One Future Luncheon. The Depot, 225 Third Ave. S, Minneapolis.
- 1 p.m. – Gov. Dayton will participate in a community conversation facilitated by the Central Minnesota NAACP. Great River Regional Library, 1300 W St. Germain St., St. Cloud.
- 4:30 p.m. – 50 ISAIAH members who are parents, school stakeholders and community members will rally to publicly affirm Minneapolis Public Schools’ (MPS) decision to end all non-violent school suspensions grades pre-k though 5, a decision made by Interim Superintendent Michal Goar, and galvanized & organized by people of faith.
- 6 p.m. – Join Congressman Ellison and members of Witness for Peace’s recent delegation to Colombia for insights on issues of race, human rights, labor and trade. Emerge Building-Phillips Room, 1834 Emerson Ave. N, Minneapolis.
- 7:30 p.m. – CNN will host the first Democratic primary presidential debate. Join the debate on social media with #DemDebate and #WeAreDemocrats.
Mark your calendars
- Oct. 17 – The Twin Cities Book Festival. Sen. Amy Klobuchar will read from her book “The Senator Next Door.” Minnesota State Fairgrounds. More information is available here.
twin cities book festival
Rain Taxi schedule | authors | opening night events | book fair
volunteer | exhibit.
Twin Cities Book Festival Saturday, October 17, 2015 Minnesota State … Read more…
- Oct. 18 – Stonewall DFL will have its monthly board meeting at 1 p.m. at the Minneapolis Central Library in Room N-202. They will discuss outreach plans along with planning for the 2016 election year.
- Oct. 24 – The DFL African American Caucus will hold its monthly meet at 10 a.m. at East Lake Library, 2727 E Lake St., Minneapolis.
- Oct. 17 – Le Sueur Co. DFL’s Annual Fall Fundraiser. American Legion Hall in Montgomery. The event includes a social hour (5 p.m.), dinner (6 p.m.), program and live auction (7 p.m.). Contact Janet Straub for tickets: .
- Oct. 17 – The 13th Annual Cass & Crow Wing County DFL will be held at 4:30 p.m. at the Nisswa American Legion, 25807 Main St., Nisswa. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.
- Oct. 18 – The 12th Annual Donkey Chili Feed will take place at 4 p.m. at the Pine City VFW, 305 8th St. SW, Pine City. Tickets are $10.
- Oct. 21 – Beltrami County DFL Fish Fry Fundraiser, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Club, Nielson Ave. SE, Bemidji.
- Oct. 24 – Pizza, Pie & Politicians DFL SD48 Fall Function! 6 – 9:30 p.m. at Homeward Hills Park Barn, 12000 Silverwood Dr., Eden Prairie. (more info)
- Oct. 25 – Senate District 14 DFL will host the Wellstone Dinner, 5 p.m., Courtyard Marriott, 404 W Saint Germain St., St. Cloud. Click here for tickets.
- Oct. 25 – Congressional District 4 DFL will host the Vento Dinner 2015. Doors open at 4 p.m. New location – Midpoint Event Center, St. Paul. For ticket information, go here https://www.dfl.org/cd4/bruce-vento-dinner-tickets-2/ .
- Nov. 1 – CD 1 DFL will host its Autumn Dinner with Congressman Tim Walz. The keynote speaker is DNC Vice Chair R.T. Rybak. Special guests include Secretary of State Steve Simon and Attorney General Lori Swanson. 5 p.m., Owatonna Veterans of Foreign Wars, 135 Oakdale St., Owatonna. Please RSVP by Oct. 21 with meal choice (turkey dinner or vegetarian lasagna) to Shawn Groth at .
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The 7 p.m. event will be held at Hughes Pavilion, Centennial Lakes, 7499 France Ave. S, Edina. Tickets may be purchased online atwww.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
Radio host Jason Lewis jumps into Minnesota 2nd race, MPR
Conservative commentator Jason Lewis enters race for state’s 2nd Congressional District, Star Tribune
Radio show host Jason Lewis confirms he’ll run for Congress, Pioneer Press
Radio host Jason Lewis jumps into Minnesota 2nd race, MPR
Conservative commentator Jason Lewis enters race for state’s 2nd Congressional District, MPR
Rep. Ellison backs Sanders for president, MPR
Rep. Keith Ellison on why he’s backing Bernie Sanders for president, MinnPost
Ellison endorses Bernie Sanders for president, Star Tribune
U.S. Congressman Keith Ellison backing Sanders for president, Pioneer Press
Republicans and Democrats want totally different presidents — and not just ideologically, Washington Post
Which presidential candidate will drop out next? Star Tribune
Capitol art work
Native American paintings get hard look amid Minnesota Capitol repairs, Pioneer Press
Panel ponders depictions of Dakota people at Capitol, KARE
Columbia Heights School Board
Columbia Heights school board member to quit over Muslim comments, MPR
Columbia Heights school board member quitting over Muslim Facebook post, Pioneer Press
The fight for the soul of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus, MinnPost
Democratic debate will reveal subtle divides, if not wide gaps, New York Times
Four things to watch in the first Democratic debate, Star Tribune
Five things to watch in Tuesday night’s Democratic debate, The Hill
Democrats see a more substantive, if sleepy, debate than rowdy GOP show, Washington Post
What to watch for at Democrats’ first debate, MPR
Details set for Republican Party’s November debate, KSTP
If punishment meted out for DNC members calling for debate, Rybak hasn’t felt it, Pioneer Press
Political Junkie: Paul Ryan’s House and the fall of Jeb Bush, MPR
Conservatives’ pick for House speaker has experience flattening ‘pyramid of power’, MPR
The seeds of the GOP’s infighting were planted long ago, Washington Post
Ryan keeps colleagues in suspense, The Hill
UCare lays off 200 after losing state health business, MPR
Dayton pledges to double down on efforts to address income inequality, Star Tribune
Indigenous Peoples Day
Columbus’ ‘legacy’ takes hits during St. Paul’s first-ever Indigenous Peoples Day, Pioneer Press
Major League Soccer
St. Paul officials want soccer stadium talks kept in dark, MPR
Steel firm, state in talks over unpaid Iron Range incentives, Pioneer Press
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news