Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Tuesday, July 21st, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
July 21, 2015
- 9:45 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will visit with students in a Freedom School Summer Literacy Classroom, Division of Indian Work, 1001 East Lake Street, Minneapolis. Following the visit, Governor Dayton will participate in a news conference announcing the results of the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s annual Kids Count study, which ranks Minnesota the number one state in the nation for child well-being.
- 10 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will tour and meet with business officials at Faribault Woolen Mill.
- 11:30 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at the Owatonna Business Women meeting.
- John Kasich will launch his bid for president at Ohio State University in Columbus, then attend a town hall meeting in Nashua.
Mark your calendars
- July 22 – The Minnesota DFL Senior Caucus will gather for a social lunch from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at the Riverside Perkins, I-94 & Riverside Ave, Minneapolis.
- July 25 – The Kanabec County DFL will host our annual Post-Parade Reception at the Masonic Hall, 800 S Union St, Mora. The parade begins at 4:30 p.m. Join the Kanabec DFL for hotdogs and discussion.
- July 28 – The Twin Cities Labor Chorus will host the 2015 Labor Sing at the AFL-CIO’s pavilion on the Minnesota State Fair grounds at 7 p.m.
- July 30 – The Minnesota Nurses Association would like to cordially invite you to the Medicare turns 50 Birthday BBQ Bash onThursday, July 30 from 5 – 8 p.m. in St. Paul. Medicare is an American as apple pie (Protect Improve Expand Medicare) so join us for an all American birthday BBQ, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Medicare, one of the greatest social safety net pieces of legislation ever signed into law and what we hope to be the basis of a single payer system for our entire nation. Highland Park Picnic Shelter, 1227 Montreal Ave. St. Paul.
- Aug. 9 – An Environmental Awareness Picnic will be held at the Environmental Learning Center, from 2 to 6 p.m. at 13,500 Dakota Ave S, in Savage. The event is free and sponsored by Senate Districts 55, 56 and Scott County DFL.
Why is trump surging? Blame the media, The Washington Post
What that Netroots Nation disaster can tell us about Democrats in 2016, The Washington Post
The 2016 GOP field is the most fractured in recent memory. By a lot. The Washington Post
Donald Trump’s South Carolina kickoff, postponed because of the church shooting here last month, and John Kasich’s presidential campaign announcement at The Ohio State University both start at 11 a.m. this morning. Cable news will undoubtedly cover the New York businessman, under fire for his comment that John McCain is not a war hero, more than the sitting governor of Ohio, who could much more conceivably be the next president (or vice president). The split-screen contrast will show both sides of the now 16 candidate GOP field and reflect the extent to which Trump, who has taken leads in national and state polling, has drowned out almost everyone else. Neither Trump nor Kasich will speak from a teleprompter. That’s about where the similarities end. The Washington Post
Ohio Gov. John Kasich joining GOP race, a blunt man who resists the sport of Clinton bashing, Star Tribune
- From the right: The Club for Growth and other conservative groups plan to attack Kasich for expanding Medicaid today. President David McIntosh will warn of “the long-lasting consequences from his decision to burden Ohio with an ever-growing price tag for Medicaid expansion.”
- From the left: Kasich worked at Lehman Brothers until the bank’s collapse in the financial crisis. The Democratic National Committee will seize on the fact that today is the fifth anniversary of Dodd-Frank to tie him with Wall Street. Kasich says the law “went overboard.”
- Trolling Trump: Retired Air Force Col. Tom Moe, a Vietnam veteran who spent five years in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW, will lead the Pledge of Allegiance before Kasich speaks.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Disability community celebrates 25th year of Americans With Disabilities Act, MinnPost
Fond du Lac Band gets $6M in federal broadband grants, MPR
Congressman Ellison at Netroots nation, The Huffington Post
Dayton to attend meeting on military security issues, MPR
mn.gov/governor and mn.gov/deed
Congress: Let nation’s districts improve struggling schools, MPR
Minnesota leads nation with $20 million in AmeriCorps competitive grants, Gov. Mark Dayton
Giant solar project in Paynesville, Minn., produces frustration — no juice, Star Tribune
Minnesota ranked No. 1 in national poll for well-being of children, Star Tribune
Minnesota No. 1 in Kids Count child well-being poll, Fox 9
Minnesota OSHA launches investigation into brutal assault at security hospital, Star Tribune
Planned Parenthood says video part of decade long harassment, Pioneer Press
Letter to Gov. Dayton regarding Planned Parenthood
Innovative roof makes new Vikings stadium lighten up, Star Tribune
Minnesota Vikings new home on pace to open in one year, Pioneer Press
One year to go, seats arrive next month, MPR
Minnesota should pursue reasonable strategies to make voting easier, Star Tribune
Walker calls for dismantling of independent elections board that authorized investigation, Star Tribune
Wisconsin Governor orders Guard members to arm themselves, WCCO
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news