Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, Oct. 8th, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Oct. 8, 2015
- 8 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at the Lakes Area Manufacturing Breakfast. Clow Stamping, Training Center, 23103 County Road 3, Merrifield.
- 9 a.m. – Rep. Erin Murphy (DFL-St. Paul) traveling across Minnesota this week meeting with educators, administrators, and superintendents to discuss and promote pre-k initiatives. Today she will visit Highland Elementary School, 801 Central Avenue N., Cookston (9 a.m.) and Frazee-Vergas Public Schools Early Childhood Center, 305 N. Lake St., Frazee (3:30 p.m.).
- 11 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at the Minnesota National Guard 682nd Engineer Battalion’s Deployment Ceremony. Willmar Senior High School Gymnasium, 2701 30th St, NE, Willmar.
- Noon – The East Central Chapter of the Minnesota DFL Senior Caucus will meet at Bowe’s Restaurant and Bar, 118 Railroad Ave N E in Mora. The featured speaker is Don Samuelson, former president of the Minnesota Senate. He has been active in Health and Human Services as well as current Chair of the Minnesota Board on Aging.
- 12:30 p.m. – Lt. Gove. Smith will visit Affiliated Community Medical Center and get her annual flu shot. 101 Willmar Ave. SW, Willmar.
- 1 p.m. – The House and Senate higher education committees will co-host a hearing this week to address issues related to new teacher qualifications that jeopardize the state’s popular College in the Schools program.
- 1:30 p.m. – Gov. Dayton will provide remarks at the groundbreaking for Catholic Charities Higher Ground St. Paul.
- 5:30 p.m. – Issues facing the immigrant community in the Osseo school district will be discussed at a meeting organized by the Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation, AFL-CIO. The meeting will be at the offices of Education Minnesota Osseo, 9210 Wyoming Ave. N., Suite 200, Brooklyn Park.
- 6 p.m. – Gov. Dayton will provide remarks at the Minnesota Business Partnership 2015 Annual Dinner. Minneapolis Convention Center, 1301 2nd Ave. S, Minneapolis.
Mark your calendars
- Oct. 9 – Rep. Erin Murphy (DFL-St. Paul) traveling across Minnesota this week meeting with educators, administrators, and superintendents to discuss and promote pre-k initiatives. Today at noonshe will visit Alexandria Public Schools Early Education Center, 1410 S. McKay Ave., Suite 201, Alexandria.
- Oct. 10 – The College Democrats of Minnesota are holding a 2015 Fall Leadership Summit. Noon, Teamsters Council Joint 32, Minneapolis.
- Oct. 13 – North Metro Senior Caucus, 11:30 am Little Venetian Inn. The featured speaker will be from MYDFL.
- Oct. 13 – The first Democratic debate takes place in Las Vegas. It will air on CNN.
- Oct. 17 – The Twin Cities Book Festival. Sen. Amy Klobuchar will read from her book “The Senator Next Door.” Minnesota State Fairgrounds. More information is available here.
- Oct. 24 – The DFL African American Caucus will hold its monthly meet at 10 a.m. at East Lake Library, 2727 E Lake St., Minneapolis.
- Oct. 10 – Congressional District 8 will host its first Oberstar Dinner. 5 p.m., Hibbing Park Hotel and Suites, 1402 E Howard St., Hibbing. Congressman Rick Nolan will be the keynote speaker. He will be joined by special guest Congressman Lloyd Doggett of Texas. For more information, click here.
- Oct. 11 – Senate Districts 25 and 26 will hold a FDR dinner at the Kahler Hotel in Rochester. The keynote speaker is Javier Morillo-Alicea, SEIU #26 President, political commentator and activist. He will share stories about his entry into progressive politics. DFL elected officials and candidates will also speak. For more information or tickets, contact Randy at () or Nancy at .
- Oct. 17 – Le Sueur Co. DFL’s Annual Fall Fundraiser. American Legion Hall in Montgomery. The event includes a social hour (5 p.m.), dinner (6 p.m.), program and live auction (7 p.m.). Contact Janet Straub for tickets: .
- Oct. 24 – Pizza, Pie & Politicians DFL SD48 Fall Function! 6 – 9:30 p.m. at Homeward Hills Park Barn, 12000 Silverwood Dr., Eden Prairie. (more info)
- Oct. 25 – Senate District 14 DFL will host the Wellstone Dinner, 5 p.m., Courtyard Marriott, 404 W Saint Germain St., St. Cloud. Click here for tickets.
- Nov. 1 – CD 1 DFL will host its Autumn Dinner with Congressman Tim Walz. The keynote speaker is DNC Vice Chair R.T. Rybak. Special guests include Secretary of State Steve Simon and Attorney General Lori Swanson. 5 p.m., Owatonna Veterans of Foreign Wars, 135 Oakdale St., Owatonna. Please RSVP by Oct. 21 with meal choice (turkey dinner or vegetarian lasagna) to Shawn Groth at.
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The 7 p.m. event will be held at Hughes Pavilion, Centennial Lakes, 7499 France Ave. S, Edina. Tickets may be purchased online at www.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
Shelly Schafer runs in House District 53B, Woodbury Bulletin
Another Republican candidate is chasing John Kline’s seat, Pioneer Press
3rd Republican joins hunt for Minnesota congressional seat being vacated by longtime incumbent, Star Tribune
Grass-roots uprising is real story in Second Congressional District race, Star Tribune
Myhra is third GOP congressional hopeful in 2nd District, MPR
Mills files campaign for 8th Congressional District, Pioneer Press
Trump’s bombast seems to be wearing out its welcome, Star Tribune
These new polls look great for Joe Biden. Here’s why he should be wary. Washington Post
Anticipation builds for Biden, The Hill
Study: Less than 50 percent of Minneapolis students graduate high school, Star Tribune
House conservatives oppose McCarthy’s speaker bid _ but can they rally behind an alternative? Star Tribune
Tragedy in Oregon spurs fresh gun law debate in Minnesota, Star Tribune
What most people don’t understand about immigrants — but should, Washington Post
Who are Minnesota’s new Americans? This is what the data tells us, MinnPost
Minneapolis fair-scheduling ordinance would be the most sweeping in the country, MinnPost
Mpls. proposed workforce rules bring rally, opposition, KARE
Council votes, workers rally for Working Families Agenda, Fox 9
Republicans are not Libertarians: a Q&A with the head of the Libertarian Party of Minnesota, MinnPost
Gallup says goodbye to the 2016 horse race, MPR
Clinton opposes Pacific trade deal in major break with Obama, MPR
Oil train traffic jumps in downtown Minneapolis, Star Tribune
Mediation set for November in Vikings stadium dispute, Pioneer Press
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news