Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, Oct. 30th, 2014
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Oct. 30, 2014
- 8 a.m. – Congressman Rick Nolan will honor the life of Thomas Valentine, member of SEAL Team 6 killed during active duty, by presenting a commemorative plaque to his parents during a ceremony at Voyageurs National Park.
- 9:30 a.m. – Minnesotans for Safe Driving Founder Jon Cummings will join legislators tomorrow morning to call on Minnesota Republicans to apologize for running misleading advertisements about bipartisan ignition interlock legislation that passed in 2014.
- 10 a.m. – The bus tour stops in Hopkins for a rally.
- Noon – The bus tour stops at Carleton College for a rally.
- 1:30 p.m. – The bus tour stops at the DFL Campaign Office in Eagan for a rally.
- 3 p.m. – The bus tour stops at the Action Center in Oakdale for a rally.
- 4 p.m. – The bus tour stops at Hmong Village in St. Paul for a rally.
- 5:30 p.m. – The bus tour stops at the DFL Campaign Office in St. Paul for a rally.
- Gov. Mark Dayton and Dr. Ed Ehlinger, Minnesota’s Commissioner of Health, will meet with hospital officials to discuss the state’s Ebola preparedness and prevention efforts.
- 9:30 a.m. – The bus tour stops at the DFL Campaign Office in Willmar for a rally.
- 11:30 a.m. – The bus tour stops at the University of Minnesota – Morris for a rally.
- 2:30 p.m. – The bus tour stops at Minnesota State University – Moorhead for a rally.
- 5 p.m. – Gov. Dayton is calling all ghouls, goblins, and ghosts to celebrate Halloween at the Governor’s Residence from 5 – 7 p.m. Pearson’s Candy Company will donate 1,600 Bite Size Salted Nut Rolls to be handed out to trick-or-treaters. The Crow River Sustainable Farming Association will donate mini-pumpkins for trick-or-treaters to take home with them. There will also be apples donated by the Pine Tree Apple Orchard in White Bear Lake and 500 reflective treat bags provided by SafeKids Minnesota through the Minnesota Safety Council to help promote safe trick-or-treating. Harrington Orthodontics will also donate toothbrushes and toothpaste.
- 10 a.m. – All county election offices and cities that have offered early voting (www.mnvotes.org) are open for voting from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- 10 a.m. – The bus tour stops in Bemidji for a rally.
- 11 a.m. – The bus tour stops in Leech Lake for rally.
- 1 p.m. – The bus tour stops in Grand Rapids for a rally. Vice President Mondale will join us at the rally.
- 3 p.m. – The bus tour stops in Virginia for a rally. Vice President Mondale will join us at the rally.
- 5:30 p.m. – The bus tour stops at the University of Minnesota – Duluth for a rally. Vice President Mondale will join us at the rally.
- 10 a.m. – Ramsey County Elections is open for voting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Noon – City of Minneapolis Elections is open for voting from noon to 5 p.m.
- 3:30 p.m. – The bus tour stops in Crosby for a rally.
- 5 p.m. – The bus tour stops at St. Cloud State University for a rally.
- 5 p.m. – Pre-debate visibility for Sen. Franken at the Fitzgerald Theater, 10 E Exchange St., St Paul.
- 8 a.m. – All county election offices and cities that have offered early voting are open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. for voting.
- 10 a.m. – The bus tour stops at IUPAT, Little Canada for a rally.
- 11:30 a.m. – The bus tour stops at Hamline for a meet and greet.
- 1 p.m. – The bus tour stops in North Minneapolis for a rally.
- 2:30 p.m. – The bus tour holds a rally at Cedar Cultural Center.
- 4:30 p.m. – A rally at a Minneapolis or St. Paul college will be held.
- 7 p.m. – The bus tour will stop at the University of Minnesota for a rally.
- 8 p.m. – The bus tour will stop at the Minneapolis United Labor Centre for a rally.
- 9:30 p.m. – The 2014 DFL GOTV Bus Tour ends with a rally at 411 Main in St. Paul.
For more details about the bus tour, go to www.dfl.org/gotvtour.
Mark your calendars and spread the word!
Early voting is open! #simonsaysvote www.mnvotes.org
5 days until the Nov. 4 general election
Want to volunteer to elect DFLers? Visit http://www.dfl.org/gotv/
DFL bus tour seeks to drive a midterm turnout, Star Tribune
Candidates hit the road for last minute stumping, KARE
With less than a week to go, campaigns rally supporters, KEYC
Local parties rallying troops before Election Day, KIMT
DFL Tour bus makes a stop in Rochester, KTTC
It’s ‘in the numbers’: DFL candidates urge turnout during bus tour, Winona Daily News
As the campaigns end, Democrats and Republicans focus on turnout, MPR
Minneapolis School Board
The sea of cash in the Minneapolis school-board race just became a tsunami, MinnPost
Big money, mean mailers and forgotten races: what you need to know about the Minneapolis school board election, MinnPost
Out-of-state money pouring into Minneapolis school board race, Star Tribune
DFL takes issue with mailers attacking House members over expungement vote, Star Tribune
In key districts, state House candidates make final pitch to voters, MPR
GOP mailer on drunk driving law draws criticism, MPR
Secretary of State
The secretary of state debate showed precisely why the race may be very close, MinnPost
Minnesota auditor race: Otto and Gilbert spar over resumes, Pioneer Press
2014 Candidate Message: DFL incumbent Rebecca Otto for State Auditor, KSTP
NAACP attorney general forum back on, MPR
Political ad truth test: ‘Unaware’, KARE
Westrom and McFadden tour Seventh Congressional District, Star Tribune
Seventh District race for Congress has national focus, Star Tribune
P-B Endorsement: 2nd Congressional District: Kline vs. Obermueller vs. Overby, Rochester Post Bulletin [log in required]
Replacing high-profile Michele Bachmann is low-profile affair, Pioneer Press
Decision 2014: Minn. Congressional races part 1, KARE
Decision 2014: Minn. Congressional races Part 2, KARE
Rick Nolan kicks off the ‘Middle Class Express’ tour, Northland News Center
Truth Test: Is Westrom lining his pockets at government expense? KSTP
Collin Peterson on the final weeks of campaign for 13th term, MPR
Minnesota Dem fights for political life, The Hill
Race ratings changes in 24 House contests, Roll Call
Decision 2014: Franken vs McFadden in Senate Race, KARE
McFadden, Westrom campaign in Moorhead, KFGO
Franken targets youth vote in Mankato, KEYC
This Sunday is the FINAL debate between Sen. Franken and Mike McFadden takes place at the Fitzgerald Theater. Please join us in supporting the Senator at a pre-debate visibility event at 5 p.m. outside of the Fitzgerald. #TeamFranken will demonstrate our support for the Senator and the momentum behind his campaign. Supporters will then be encouraged to attend the debate at the Fitzgerald. There is no admission fee – seating is first come, first serve. We want a full house of Franken fans at the Fitz! Parking: Parking is available in the 7th Street Ramp —entrances to this ramp are located on both Cedar and Wabasha. Parking is also available in the Gallery Ramp on Exchange Street between St. Peter and Wabasha Streets. Franken banners and signs will be available, but supporters are encouraged to wear Franken t-shirts if they have them. Contact Jeanne Stuart at or with questions.
DSCC job? ‘No,’ says Franken. ‘I haven’t even considered that,’ says Klobuchar, Star Tribune
daily brief · issues · news