Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, Oct. 22nd, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
Oct. 22, 2015
- 2 p.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at the Minnesota Housing Finance Authority’s affordable housing awards announcement. Ashland Place, 1990 Ashland Drive Northwest, Rochester.
- 5:30 p.m. – MYDFL kicks off a series of social and networking events at Bull Run Coffee. 3346 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis.
- 6:30 p.m. – State Rep. Leon Lillie (DFL – North St. Paul), Rep. Peter Fischer (DFL-Maplewood), Rep. JoAnn Ward (DFL-Woodbury), and Sen. Chuck Wiger (DFL-Maplewood) are hosting a pollinator policy forum which will be moderated by Rep. Rick Hansen (DFL-South St. Paul) at the Maplewood Community Center.
Mark your calendars
- Oct. 24 – The DFL African American Caucus will hold its monthly meet at 10 a.m. at East Lake Library, 2727 E Lake St., Minneapolis.
- Nov. 3 – Election Day! Check your ballots here http://bit.ly/1oqFLFD.
- Oct. 24 – Pizza, Pie & Politicians DFL SD48 Fall Function! 6 – 9:30 p.m. at Homeward Hills Park Barn, 12000 Silverwood Dr., Eden Prairie. (more info)
- Oct. 25 – Senate District 14 DFL will host the Wellstone Dinner, 5 p.m., Courtyard Marriott, 404 W Saint Germain St., St. Cloud. Click here for tickets.
- Oct. 25 – Congressional District 4 DFL will host the Vento Dinner 2015. Doors open at 4 p.m. New location – Midpoint Event Center, St. Paul. Sarah Stoesz, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota will be joining the CD4 Vento Dinner. For ticket information, go here https://www.dfl.org/cd4/bruce-vento-dinner-tickets-2/ .
- Nov. 1 – CD 1 DFL will host its Autumn Dinner with Congressman Tim Walz. The keynote speaker is DNC Vice Chair R.T. Rybak. Special guests include Secretary of State Steve Simon and Attorney General Lori Swanson. 5 p.m.,Owatonna Veterans of Foreign Wars, 135 Oakdale St., Owatonna. Please RSVP by Oct. 21 with meal choice (turkey dinner or vegetarian lasagna) to Shawn Groth at .
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The 7 p.m. event will be held at Hughes Pavilion, Centennial Lakes, 7499 France Ave. S, Edina. Tickets may be purchased online at www.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
- Nov. 7 – DFL Senior Caucus Fall Gala. Program begins at 4 p.m., buffet dinner at 5:30 p.m. Royal Cliff Banquet Center, 2280 Cliff Road, Eagan. Reserve your tickets by contacting John Larva at or .
- Nov. 10 – SD 44 DFL will host “The-Never-Too-Early-To-Think-About-The-Next-Election” Chili Cookoff and Silent Auction. 6 p.m., LTD Brewing Co., 8 8th Ave., Hopkins.
- Nov. 21 – CD 6 Unity Dinner – Drawn Together. 5 p.m., Teamsters Local 120, Blaine. Keynote speaker is Congressman Tim Walz. Ticket information coming soon.
‘Done Wishing’: Ilhan Omar on why she’s running for House District 60B, MinnPost
Full text: Biden’s announcement that he won’t run for president, Washington Post
Joe Biden: Window ‘has closed’ for a White House bid, MPR
Joe says no to presidential bid; VP Biden stays out of race in a boost for Clinton, Star Tribune
Why Joe Biden running for president would have been a very bad idea, Washington Post
Is Hillary Clinton a liberal? Increasingly, Democrats say yes. Washington Post
Turns out Bernie Sanders was right: America is tired of Hillary Clinton’s e-mails, Washington Post
Why Jeb Bush and Donald Trump are so eager to fight about 9/11, Washington Post
Clinton now has tight grip on Dem nomination, The Hill
Trump nears 100 days on top, The Hill
Trump tells packed Iowa crowd he’ll beat Hillary, Des Moines Register
Black Lives Matter
DNC gives blessing to Black Lives Matter presidential town hall — but won’t add debate, Washington Post
Politics aside, the state Senate should operate under one roof, Star Tribune
Back to the (democratic) future, Pioneer Press
Secretary of state spotlights domestic violence program, Fergus Falls Journal
Academy offers educators lessons in police work, school safety, Star Tribune
Ellison and progressives call for end to Social Security garnishment for student debt, MinnPost
Freedom Caucus not ready to endorse Ryan for speaker, The Hill
Ryan has votes to become speaker, The Hill
Loaded gun found in backpack at St. Paul’s Harding High School, MPR
Run of fatal shootings has alarmed even veteran police officers, Star Tribune
Home health care workers reaffirm support for their union, Workday Minnesota
Canadian unions cheer as voters toss out conservative party, Workday Minnesota
Adjunct faculty at Hamline seek support for first contract, Workday Minnesota
Critics challenge Minnesota’s new home care union, WCCO
Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources
Minnesota GOP lawmaker alleges meeting law violation, MPR
Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources, Pioneer Press
In Washington, a day to honor Walter Mondale’s legacy, MinnPost
President Carter joins tribute to Mondale’s legacy, KARE
Oil trains in metro area prompt response from Dayton, MPR
State tells railroads to revise oil disaster plans, MPR
Governor criticizes BNSF for rerouting oil trains into downtown Minneapolis, Star Tribune
Mothballed Minnesota prison reconsidered amid overcrowding discussion, Pioneer Press
Vote counts? Duluth mulls ranked-choice elections, MPR
End the inhumane detention of refugee women and children, Star Tribune
Reusse: Minnesota is the new sports facilities capital, Star Tribune
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news