Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, July 21st, 2016
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief
In the Know
July 21, 2016
Day 4 of the Republican National Convention
4 days until the Democratic National Convention
64 days until people can begin to vote by no excuse absentee ballot, Sept. 23
109 days until Election Day, Nov. 8
Today in History
- Paul Wellstone was born today on July 21 1944 in Arlington Virginia.
- July 21 – SD 66 Pot Luck Picnic, Please bring a dish to share, donations for for food shelf will also be collected, 6-8:30, Como Picnic Pavilion South in Como Park, 1199 Midway Parkway, St. Paul, 55103
Mark your calendars
- July 23 – Laurie Pryor campaign kick-off and door knock for HD 48A, 10-2:00 PM, Minnetonka DFL Headquarters, 14525 Hwy 7, Minnetonka, MN, suite 345. Paul Thissen will be joining us as a special guest speaker for Laurie. For more information: you can reach Madeleine Garces at or
- July 23 – Senate District 13 DFL 4th Annual Golf Scramble and Social; River Oaks Golf Course, Cold Spring, MN. More Info.:
- July 23 – SD49 Annual Picnic, 12-3PM, Rosland Park Picnic Shelter (Just west of the Edina Aquatic Center), $13/person (kids 10 and under free).
- July 24 – DFL Senior Caucus Family Picnic, 12-3, Brookview Park, Golden Valley.
- Aug. 2–4 – Farmfest, Gilfillan Estate Farm near Redwood Falls. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Farmfest is a large Ag show that attracts farmers and rural people from a good portion of Greater MN and it also showcases candidates for office by holding important forums. Congressman Peterson and Walz and their opponents, along with possibly some candidates from other congressional districts will participate in those forums. Anyone interested in volunteering at the DFL booth (hosted by CD 1, CD 7 and the state party), should contact DNC Member Lori Sellner, or. She is looking for two volunteers at all times, to work three hour shifts (8-11 a.m., 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.).
- Aug. 10 – SD 41 Annual Picnic, guests are asked to bring a non-perishable food item, 6PM, Kordiak Park, Columbia Heights.
- Aug. 12 – SD 51 Annual Picnic, 4-8 PM, Blackhawk Park, 1629 Murphy Pkwy, Eagan. $10 adult, $5 ages 5-12, $25 family maximum.
- Aug. 16 – Congressman Rick Nolan’s Staff will hold Congress comes to you events in the 8thdistrict. From 10 to 11 AM at Virginia city hall, from 11:30 to 12:30 at Eveleth city hall, and from 1-2 PM at Gilbert City Hall.
- Aug. 25 – Sept. 5 – Minnesota State Fair. For information about volunteering with the DFL, go to this link.
- Aug. 30 – Congressman Rick Nolan’s Staff will hold Congress comes to you events in the 8thdistrict. From noon to 1 PM at Babbit City Hall and from 2-3 PM at Biwabik City Hall
- Sept. 8 – DFL EAST SIDE SENIOR CAUCUS, RX Rights/Mature Voices, 11:30, Sgt. Pepper’s Bar and Grill, 930 Helena Ave North, Oakdale
- July 26 – SD 7 tailgate Night at the Wade, 4:45 PM, If you have $15, a love of comradary, community events, and DFL principles, come on down! For more information, link
- Aug. 2 – Senate District 16 DFL Corn Feed 5:30-7:30, Suss/Marti Farm is located at 19650 270thSt., Lucan, Minnesota 56255
- Aug. 10 – SD 41 Annual Picnic, 6 – 9, Kordiak Park in Fridley. 1845 49th Avenue NE. Free but a $10 donation is appreciated. Bring a canned or packaged food item to help re-stock local food shelves
- Aug. 11 – Garrison Keillor will be the guest at a re-election fundraiser for Representative Ron Erhardt, Senate District 49A at the Braemar Golf Course, 6364 John Harris Drive, Edina, MN 55439. Time: 6-8 p.m. For more information, contact Ardis Wexler,
- Aug. 19 – Hubbard County DFL Walleye dinner fundraiser on August 19th from 5 to 7 at the American Legion Club in Park Rapids
- Aug. 25 – Clay County DFL Langseth Steak Fry, 5-7 PM, $20 per person $30 per couple, Dilworth Depot (corner of Highway 10 and NE 4th street in Dilworth)
- Sept. 10 – Faribault County DFL Fundraiser, Bricelyn American Legion.
- Sept. 10 – Le Sueur County DFL Fall Fundraiser, Montgomery American Legion Hall.
- Sept. 18 – CD 2 DFL 15th Annual Classic. 4 p.m., The Wilds Golf Course, Prior Lake. More information is available here, Purchase Tickets.
- Sept. 18 – Vento Dinner, 4 PM, Prom Center.
- Sept. 25 – Rice County DFL’s 5th Annual Hotdish Dinner and cook-off fundraiser, 4 PM, Vintage Ballroom & Suites, 129 Central Avenue North, Faribault
Clinton camp slams Trump for NATO comments, The Hill
A mighty challenge awaits Trump on Thursday night, Washington Post
Donald Trump Sets Conditions for Defending NATO Allies Against Attack, NY Times
Donald Trump’s conservatism still in doubt for many, Star Tribune
Trump sets terms for helping NATO allies, The Hill
NATO head rebukes Trump: ‘We defend one another’, The Hill
Trump staff writer takes blame for Melania speech, Politico
Mike Pence and his politics were shaped by his faith, NY Times
Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing to endorse Trump, AP
Trump-Cruz Feud Flares Anew On Third Night Of Convention, NPR
Ted Cruz defends convention speech, still says he wouldn’t endorse Trump, Washington Post
Cruz defends refusal to endorse Trump: He made it ‘personal’, The Hill
Cruz torpedoes Trump’s convention, The Hill
Convention erupts at Cruz snub, The Hill
Republican National Convention
Pence makes the case for Trump after Cruz is booed, NPR
Pence makes forceful case for Trump in aftermath of Cruz snub, The Hill
Day 3 of Republican convention: Pence accepts nomination; sought-for unity falls short, Washington Post
RNC protesters, police in riot gear in Cleveland echo St. Paul in 2008, Pioneer Press
Liar. Lock her up. Shoot her: The GOP’s common ground is disdain for Clinton, MPR
In surprise, GOP looks to revive Depression-era banking law, AP
What to watch for on the last day of the GOP convention, The Hill
Kasich doesn’t regret skipping convention, The Hill
Could Cleveland be a stop in 2018 Minnesota governor’s race?, MPR
At convention, shadow of ‘the Body’ looms for Minnesota Republicans, MinnPost
Minnesota GOP ‘pleased’ to see party back Trump, Mesabi Daily News
Minnesota Delegates Mixed on Trump, KSTP
Minnesota conservatives vent to N.C. congressman about Republican-led Congress, Star Tribune
Support for Trump just the latest sign of Tom Emmer’s political evolution, MinnPost
At RNC, Daudt assesses Trump factor at home, MPR
I don’t think that voters in Minnesota are going to necessarily attach Donald Trump to a House candidate. Likewise, I don’t think they’re going to attach Hillary Clinton to some of these House candidates,” Daudt said after a delegation breakfast Wednesday. “I think when you look at the ideas, the records, the issues, the stances on issues they are going to have to weigh, ‘Do I support this candidate for the state House and this presidential candidate?’ They are not joined at the hip.”
Daudt predicted Trump has a “trust advantage” with Minnesota voters. “It’s not just about who you like, but who you trust,” he said, adding that he’s “confident” Trump will ultimately help more than hurt down the ballot. – MPR
WH slams Christie plan to purge government employees, The Hill
Paulsen among prominent Republicans skipping the RNC, MPR
Duluth women demand apology for Mills’ Facebook comments, Duluth News Tribune
Women’s group demands apology for Facebook comments by MN congressional candidate, West Central Tribune
MN-08: More embarrassment for Mills, MN Progressive Project
Children lead peace march in Minneapolis, MPR
Police union heads decry teacher protest for Castile, MPR
Will Minnesota Pass a “Blue Lives Matter” Bill?, Alpha News
Leech Lake Tribal College
Former White Earth chairwoman named president of Minnesota tribal college, Star Tribune
Ground Zero Ely, Mesabi Daily News
Sen. Franken also visits Watkins, Tri County News
Franken visits Hutchinson as part of Rural Infrastructure Listening Tour, Crow River Media
U.S. transportation officials recommend Delta flight between MSP and Haneda, Star Tribune
Statements from Governor Dayton and Lt. Governor Smith on Delta Flights to Tokyo, Press Release
Minnesota must do more to cut greenhouse gas linked to climate change, MPR
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news