Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: November 21st, 2014
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, Issues, News
In the Know
Nov. 21, 2014
- Governor Dayton will host a group of student athletes for lunch at the Governor’s residence to honor their outstanding sportsmanship and athletic accomplishments. Jessica Christoffer (Jackson County Central High School), Kailee Kiminski (Elko High School), and Tierney Winter (Waterville Elysian Morristown High School) will be joined by their parents and coaches. This meeting will not be open to the press.
- 11:00 a.m. – Senator Franken will speak at the grand opening of the new Washburn Center for Children Headquarters to discuss the importance of children’s mental health services.
- Senator Franken will also speak at the Minnesota Farm Bureau’s annual meeting, in Bloomington.
- 1:00 p.m. – Senator Klobuchar will speak at a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Highway 52 and County Road 9 Intersection project. Gov. Mark Dayton, Rep. John Kline, and MN DOT Commissioner Charlie Zelle are expected to attend as well.
- The Minnesota Farmers Union will hold its 73rd annual state convention at the Ramada Plaza Hotel, 1330 Industrial Boulevard, Minneapolis, MN 55413.
- 10:00 a.m. – The DFL State Central Committee will meet at DFL Headquarters.
- 6:00 p.m. – Senator Franken will speak at the Minnesota Farmers Union state convention.
*Note: Due to Thanksgiving holiday, DFL offices will be closed Nov. 24th – Nov. 28th.
Jeff Johnson back to work at Hennepin County after grueling governor’s race, Star Tribune
Selcer defeats Stensrud in recount, Star Tribune
‘Like It Never Happened’: Public Shrugs at Midterm Results, Poll Shows, NBC News
Are the Twin Cities’ suburban swing districts now firmly DFL territory?, MinnPost
O’Malley hires ex-Clinton staffer ahead of likely presidential run, MSNBC
Gary Johnson Hopes To Run In 2016 And Promises Not To Pander To Iowans, Huffington Post
Ex-Senator Jim Webb Explores Presidential Candidacy, NY Times
Here’s How Potential 2016 Candidates Are Reacting To Obama’s Immigration Action, Huffington Post
Democratic groups gearing up for a Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, Fox News
Big Stone Co. GOP chair: Muslims are terrorists, we should ‘frag ’em’, Star Tribune
In hate speech from GOP leader, a question of values, MPR
GOP rebukes county chairman’s ‘outrageous’ comments on Muslims, Star Tribune
Big Stone County GOP official calls Muslims ‘parasites’, AP
Minnesota GOP chairman condemns county party official’s Facebook comments about Muslims, AP
State Adds 9,500 Jobs in October, DEED
Archdiocese reports $9.1M deficit, mulls bankruptcy, MPR
Minnesota Reservation Joins Buyback Program, AP
Bemidji students join unrest over chancellor, MPR
MnSCU’s presidents, trustees back chancellor amid leadership questions, Pioneer Press
Transportation talk on Dayton’s lunch menu, MPR
Dayton, incoming Speaker Daudt break bread, talk upcoming session, Star Tribune
Report: Powerful Nevada GOPer Wrote Column About ‘Simple Minded Darkies’, Talking Points Memo
Incoming Nevada Speaker Said Democrats Have ‘Master-Slave’ Relationship With ‘Simple Minded Darkies’, ThinkProgress
House Republicans Sue Obama Administration Over Health Law, NY Times
Republicans confront own worst enemy on immigration, Washington Post
Minnesota adds 9,500 jobs in Oct., jobless rate falls to 3.9%, Star Tribune
MN jobless rate drops below 4%, first time since 2006, MPR
McGuire-Pohlad soccer group gets powerful supporter, Star Tribune
Minnesota’s unemployment rate continues to fall, dips below 4 percent in October, AP
Mayo Clinic revenue is up, Post Bulletin
Obama’s huge new immigration plan, explained, Vox
Obama changes immigration policy, MPR
Bringing perspective to Obama’s move on deportations, Washington Post
Thousands of Minnesota immigrants poised to benefit from Obama reprieve, Star Tribune
What Does Obama’s Immigration Plan Mean For Minnesota?, WCCO/AP
Legal Scholars: Obama’s Immigration Actions Lawful, Time
Top Obama Aide Uses McConnell No-Shutdown Vow As Weapon Against GOP, Talking Points Memo
Supreme Court clears way for same-sex marriage in S.C., Washington Post
Affordable Care Act
The Government Overstated Obamacare Enrollment by 400,000 People. That’s Inexcusable., New Republic
U.S. releases five Guantanamo detainees to Georgia, Slovakia, Reuters
Minnesota not on track to meet proposed emissions reductions, MPR
State fines MN frac sand plant for air quality violations, MPR
New St. Paul Saints stadium goes green with solar energy and water management, MinnPost
Remembering Bill Frenzel, institution-builder, bridge-builder, and just a Prince of a man, MinnPost
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news