Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Monday, March 14th, 2016 (Happy 3.14 Pie Day!)
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief
In the Know
March 14, 2016
192 days before people can begin to vote by no excuse absentee ballot, Sept. 23
248 days until Election Day, Nov. 8
- 9 a.m. – Senate Transportation Committee Chair Sen. Scott Dibble (DFL-Minneapolis) will be joined by members of the Senate DFL caucus to call for the passage of a transportation bill that provides dedicated and sustainable funding for Minnesota’s transportation network. Room 2237, Minnesota Senate Building.
- 9 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will provide remarks and participate in a Q&A with students at the Climate Generation Youth Summit. Governor’s Press Briefing Room, Veterans Service Building, 20 W 12th St., St. Paul.
- 10 a.m. – DFL Chairman Ken Martin will hold a press conference on Monday, March 14, to call on Speaker Kurt Daudt to release details of his special debt deal. While families of unemployed steelworkers continue to wait for Daudt to pass an unemployment insurance extension, Kurt helped himself to a special deal to get out of debt. It’s time for Daudt to disclose the details of his special deal. Minnesota Senate Building Room 2237.
- 11 a.m. – The Senate is in session.
- Noon – Gov. Dayton will meet with editors and reporters in Edgerton for a forum on water quality in southwest Minnesota. Edgerton City Hall, 801 1st Ave. W, Edgerton.
- 2 p.m. – Gov. Dayton will provide remarks at the opening of the Lewis & Clark Regional Water System in Luverne (Lewis & Clark Meter House, behind the Public Works Building at 202 N Blue Mound Ave, Luverne.
- 4 p.m. – The House is in session.
- In the evening, Gov. Dayton will provide remarks at a farewell reception for Brian Rusche, Executive Director of the Joint Religious Legislative Coalition.
- 7 p.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will participate in the Leadership, Gender and Public Policy event at the College of St. Benedict, 204A Gorecki Center, 37 S College Ave, St. Joseph.
Mark your calendars
- March 16 – Sen. Franken will host his sixth annual bipartisan competition to determine which member of the Minnesota Congressional Delegation makes the best hotdish casserole. 11:30 a.m. (EST), Dirksen Senate Office Building, Room 430, Washington, D.C.
- March 17 – The DFL will host a VAN webinar training session at 3 p.m. The sign up form is found here. For more information contact Michael Crusinberry, date file manager, at .
- March 24 – The DFL will host a VAN webinar training session at 3 p.m. The sign up form is found here. For more information contact Michael Crusinberry, date file manager, at .
- March 26 – The DFL African American Caucus will meet at 10 a.m. at the Pierre Bottineau Library, Minneapolis.
- March 31 – The DFL will host a VAN webinar training session at 3 p.m. The sign up form is found here. For more information contact Michael Crusinberry, date file manager, at .
- April 30 – CD 2 DFL Convention, 10:30 a.m., Shakopee West Junior High School, 200 10th Ave. E, Shakopee.
- April 30 – CD 7 DFL Convention, 1 p.m., Courtyard Marriott Hotel, 1080 28th Ave. S, Moorhead.
- May 7 – CD 5 DFL Convention, 10:30 a.m., South High School, 3131 S 19th Ave., Minneapolis.
- May 7 – CD 8 DFL Convention, 10 a.m., Duluth Holiday Inn, 200 W 1st St., Duluth.
- May 14 – CD 1 DFL Convention, 1 p.m., Worthington Event Center, 1447 Prairie Dr., Worthington.
- May 14 – CD 3 DFL Convention, 10:30 a.m., Osseo Senior High School, 317 2nd Ave. NW, Osseo.
- May 21 – CD 6 DFL Convention, noon, St. Cloud Apollo High School, 1000 44th Ave. N, St. Cloud.
- May 22 – CD 4 DFL Convention, noon, Carpenters Union Hall, 700 Olive St., St. Paul.
- April 10 – The Winona County DFL will host its 2016 Banquet at the Westfield Golf Club, 1460 W 5th St., Winona. Tickets, which include dinner (chicken, prime rib or vegetarian lasagna), speakers and a silent auction, are $50. Checks, made out to the Winona County DFL, can be sent to DFL, 685 West 5th St., Winona, MN 55987. Please indicate your dinner choice.
Republicans have a shot at a record number of governors’ seats in 2016, Washington Post
Why are Americans so angry this election season? Here’s new research that helps explain it. Washington Post
Campaign 2016 on a dangerous descent, Washington Post
Rubio: ‘All the gates of civility have been blown apart’ by Trump, The Hill
Sanders has gotten nastier. Does it help explain his staying power? Washington Post
Same data can result in different conclusions — especially during session, West Central Tribune
Minnesota Government: More of the same? Brainerd Dispatch
Raising aid to families with children should be a legislative priority this year, MinnPost
Minnesota lawmaker wants to bill protesters for police costs, Pioneer Press
Amid Capitol repairs, public left out of ‘People’s House,’ Star Tribune
Capitol Catch-up: The legislators are back in town, Pioneer Press
DFL leaders: Here are our goals for this year’s legislative session, Star Tribune
Klobuchar, Emmer to join Obama’s historic trip to Cuba, Star Tribune
Our View: Details, transparency needed from Daudt, Duluth News Tribune
Democratic town hall
6 takeaways from the Democratic town hall, CNN
Two DFL conventions set for this week in Detroit Lakes & Ogema, Detroit Lakes Online
A college education costs even more than you thought it did, MPR
Solar gardens are about to flood across the Twin Cities – here’s why, Pioneer Press
Governor to talk about water quality in Southwest Minnesota Monday, KSTP
Walter Mondale on fighting to save the soul of Minnesota: the Boundary Waters, Star Tribune
The Iron Range economy: The end game, lights out? Star Tribune
Will St. Paul be pressured to follow Minneapolis’ lead on mandatory paid leave? MinnPost
Unions praise Dayton’s approach to building a ‘state that works for everyone,’ Workday Minnesota
Retired union workers to rally at State Capitol over pension cuts, Star Tribune
Retired union workers rally at Minnesota State Capitol over pension cuts, Star Tribune
Wage theft hits lowest paid workers hardest, MPR
Kasich’s path is still highly problematic, even if he wins Ohio and Rubio drops out after losing Florida: “After Tuesday, 1,463 of the 2,472 Republican delegates will have been chosen. If Kasich were to win every one of the remaining delegates, improbable as that is, he would still be short of the 1,237 needed for nomination,” Dan Balz and Philip Rucker note. “His hope likely depends on winning a brutal floor fight with Trump and Cruz at the convention in July in Cleveland.” In an interview on his bus, Kasich said he thinks everyone will be short: “And at that point, I think they start looking at who can do the job, who can win in the fall.” Washington Post
Here’s what you need to know about the March 15 ‘Mega Tuesday’ contests, MPR
Tuesday test will make or break some candidates, Star Tribune
Besides Florida and Ohio, the other primaries tomorrow are in Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina. Washington Post
4 tough questions on PolyMet copper-nickel mine, Star Tribune
Will global prices undermine PolyMet? Pioneer Press
Proud of Obama’s presidency, blacks sad to see him go, Star Tribune
Kasich pins hopes on Ohio victory Tuesday. Then what? Washington Post
Polls show the winner-take-all contest in Ohio is up for grabs, though, so Trump and his antagonists are focusing their firepower on the Buckeye State in the final day. Ohio will award all 66 of its delegates to whoever gets the most votes, just as Florida will give all 99 of its delegates to whoever wins there. John Kasich says he will drop out if he loses Ohio, which ups the ante. Washington Post
Trump canceled a big Florida rally scheduled for tonight so he can spend more time in Ohio. Washington Post
A Quinnipiac University poll out this morning shows Trump and Kasich tied in Ohio at 38 percent, with Cruz at 16 percent and Rubio at 3 percent. (Trump leads Rubio 46-22 in Florida.) Washington Post
CBS News poll: Trump, Kasich tied in Ohio, The Hill
Poll: Clinton leads in Florida, Illinois and Ohio, The Hill
Republican National Convention
Could Cleveland rock with a contested GOP convention? MPR
Rubio urges voters to back Kasich in Ohio to stop Trump, Politico
Marco Rubio’s worst week in Washington, Washington Post
Rubio wins D.C. GOP convention, CNN
Longtime Minnesota Congressman Martin Sabo dies at 78, MPR
Martin Sabo, longtime DFL congressman and politician, dies, Star Tribune
Looking back at Martin Sabo’s impact, WCCO
Political leaders react to Martin Sabo’s death, WCCO
Former DFL U.S. Rep. Martin Olav Sabo dies, KSTP
Former congressman Martin Sabo dies at 78, KARE
Social Security Disability
Social Security Disability a lifeline for many in northern Minnesota, Star Tribune
‘Get him out!’ Racial tensions explode at Donald Trump’s rallies. Washington Post
Donald Trump’s baffling explanation for violence at his campaign rallies, Washington Post
Donald Trump calls off Chicago rally due to security concerns at packed arena, Star Tribune
Political world closely watching Trump’s Saturday events, Star Tribune
Analysis: Chicago chaos tests Trump promises of unity, Star Tribune
Trump rally cancelled amid huge protests, The Hill
Trump on rally shutdown: ‘What ever happened to freedom of speech?’ The Hill
Why Trump? A look at some of his Minnesota supporters, Star Tribune
Trump claims man who tried to rush stage connected to ISIS, Star Tribune
Are we finally reaching ‘peak Trump’? Washington Post
Trump: ‘I’m just a messenger’ for angry Americans, The Hill
Trump’s new normal: campaign rallies where chaos is expected, Star Tribune
U.S. Supreme Court
Obama narrows Supreme Court shortlist down to three, The Hill
VAN webinar training series
The DFL will host VAN webinar training sessions are every Thursday at 3 p.m. Intended for people new to the VAN and for those who want to refresh their skills in this important election year, the webinar will be recorded and posted at dfl.org/van. The sign up form is found here. For more information contact Michael Crusinberry, date file manager, at .
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news