Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Thursday, May 12th, 2016 (179 days until Election Day, Nov. 8)
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief
In the Know
May 12, 2016
133 days until people can begin to vote by no excuse absentee ballot, Sept. 23
179 days until Election Day, Nov. 8
- Gov. Dayton and Lt. Gov. Smith will have breakfast with GOP Legislative Leaders at the Governor’s Residence.
- 9 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at Visibility and Voice: Asian Americans at the Capitol. State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Room 300N, St. Paul.
- 9 a.m. – The House meets in session.
- 9 a.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon will meet with Lakes and Pines Community Action Council to discuss 2016 voter outreach initiatives. 1700 Maple Ave. E., Mora.
- 10 a.m. – The Senate meets in session.
- 11 a.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon will meet with Aitkin County Auditor Kirk Peysar and deputy auditors. 209 2nd St. NW, Aitkin.
- Gov. Dayton will meet with Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk and House Speaker Kurt Daudt in the Senate Office Building.
- 1:45 p.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon will meet with Hibbing Chamber of Commerce President/CEO Lory Fedo. 211 E Howard St., Hibbing.
- 3:45 p.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will visit the Kettle River Fire Department. Kettle River Fire Hall, 3977 Main St., Kettle River.
- 6 p.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon will be the keynote speaker at the League of Women Voters Duluth Annual Meeting, Greysolon Plaza, Moorish Room, 231 E Superior St., Duluth.
- Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at the 2016 Governor’s Fishing Opener host dinner in McGregor.
Mark your calendars
- May 13 – Community Picnic for Governor’s Fishing Opener. A free picnic will be served from 4 – 7 p.m. at Pine Rail Park in McGregor. Gov. Dayton and Lt. Gov. Smith will speak at the event.
- May 14 – CD 1 DFL Convention, 1 p.m., Worthington Event Center, 1447 Prairie Dr., Worthington.
- May 14 – CD 3 DFL Convention, 10:30 a.m., Park Center High School auditorium, 7377 Noble Ave N, Brooklyn Park.
- May 14 – The SD 41 DFL is hosting a combined candidate meet and greet/fundraiser from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Crooner’s Lounge & Supper Club, 6161 Highway 65 NE. SD 41 DFL candidates include Rep. Carolyn Laine, Rep. Connie Bernardy and Mary Kunesh-Podein. The guest speaker is House DFL Leader Paul Thissen. All are welcome.
- May 14 – The National Association of Letter Carriers’ Food Drive will once again spread out across America to help provide assistance to Americans who are struggling with hunger. For more information about the annual Letter Carriers’ Food Drive effort in your community, ask your letter carrier or go to nalc.org and find “Food Drive” under “Community Service.”
- The Food Drive effort is the nation’s largest single-day drive. In 2015, 70.6 million pounds of food was collected, which brought the grand total of donations to more than 1.3 billion pounds of food collected since the drive began in 1992.
- May 17 – Please join the Minnesotans for Paid Family Leave Coalition for a rally in support of Paid Family Leave. Tell the Legislature, our families can’t wait. Pass Paid Family Leave this session! Paid Family Leave Rally, noon, State Office Building, St. Paul.
- May 17 – Candidates for federal, state, county, and some local offices must file for office during between today and May 31 for their name to appear on the ballot.
- May 21 – CD 6 DFL Convention, noon, St. Cloud Apollo High School, 1000 44thAve. N, St. Cloud.
- May 22 – CD 4 DFL Convention, noon, Carpenters Union Hall, 700 Olive St., St. Paul.
- June 7 – Primary season ends.
- June 12 – DFL Women’s Hall of Fame Annual Luncheon, 11 a.m. reception, noonluncheon, 12:45 p.m. award ceremony. Ticket information and list of award recipients areavailable here.
- May 21 – Senate District 14 DFL will hold a Red to Blue Post-Convention Party. $20 Suggested Donation. Michael’s Restaurant, 510 US-10, St Cloud. Tickets available at: http://www.eventbrite.com/o/dfl-senate-district-14-3077414154
- Sept. 18 – CD 2 DFL 15th Annual Classic. 4 p.m., The Wilds Golf Course, Prior Lake. More information is available here.
U.S. House of Representatives
GOP congressional candidate Stewart Mills releases first ad, WCCO
Who the 2016 presidential candidates would be if they were ‘Game of Thrones’ characters, Washington Post
Playing Politics podcast: Elusive unity for Republicans and Democrats, Star Tribune
Third-party candidates face uphill climb to get place on presidential debate stage, The Hill
With fresh memories of end-of-session chaos, Minnesota lawmakers look to learn from other states, MinnPost
Outstate cities press for legislative action in Minnesota, Star Tribune
Small city mayors urge lawmakers to act now, KARE
Bonding bill log jam is old hat for lobby, Mesabi Daily News
OUR VIEW: Put up or shut up, International Falls Journal
Setting a ceiling on bonding would be bad public policy in Minnesota, Star Tribune
Lift the veil on the bonding bill, New Ulm Journal
Capitol clock running down on public works bill, KARE
Forum editorial: Quit stalling Minnesota bonding bill, Fargo Forum
‘These flavors call to us’: Walz takes home third title in annual congressional Hotdish-Off, MinnPost
Minnesota congressional delegation dishes over best hotdish, USA Today
Walz rules annual congressional Hotdish competition with turkey tacos, Star Tribune
Walz wins Minnesota congressional delegation’s hotdish competition, Duluth News Tribune
- Rep. Walz – Turkey Taco Tot Hotdish
- Sen. Franken – Land of 10,000 Calories Hotdish
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar – Babe the “Brew” Ox Steak and Ale Hotdish
- Rep. Peterson – Collin’s Rockin’ Rabbit “Hop” Dish
- Rep. Rick Nolan – Cousin Jack’s Hot-Rolled, Corrosion-Resistant Pasty Hotdish
- Rep. Betty McCollum – Making Hotdish Great Again Hotdish
- Rep. John Kline – Pizza Pie Hotdish
- Rep. Keith Ellison – The Most Beautiful Hotdish in the World: Green Chile-Chicken Casserole
- Rep. Erik Paulsen – Boundary Waters Bacon, Beef, and Taters Hotdish
- Rep. Tom Emmer – Havana Hotdish
Governor’s Fishing Opener
Staska to host Gov. Dayton on Saturday opener, Brainerd Dispatch
Ryan, Trump set for showdown, The Hill
Skittish GOP to Trump: Drop the insults, The Hill
Has Donald Trump stolen Paul Ryan’s party out from under him? The Hill
Paul Ryan should conclude Trump is unfit for the presidency, Star Tribune
Klobuchar meets with new Canadian ambassador, Brainerd Dispatch
Senate passes paid family leave, MPR
Real ID fix inches closer at Minnesota Capitol, but who’ll pay? MPR
Sanders’ dilemma: Go for broke or go for influence, Bloomberg
On Statehood Day, reflect on what makes the state great, Brained Disptach
NFL announces Feb. 4 as date for 2018 Super Bowl in Minneapolis, Star Tribune
Provisions in Senate tax bill make everyday Minnesotans the priority, Minnesota Budget Project
Jerome Christenson: In Minnesota, taxpayers get what they pay for, Winona Daily News
House doesn’t budge, leaving transportation negotiations in neutral, Session Daily
Letter: Transportation bill is critical, Eden Prairie News
Light rail cash in limbo as Minnesota lawmakers talk transit, MPR
House Republicans offer deal to break transportation impasse, Fox 9
Now that Donald Trump’s got this thing locked up, will people keep turning out?Washington Post
Donald Trump is building a giant, beautiful wall between America and his tax returns,Washington Post
Trump fundraising operation ramping up with Los Angeles kick-off, Washington Post
Secretary of state aims to boost voter turnout, St. Cloud Times
Minnesota secretary of state talks voter turnout in Brainerd, Brainerd Dispatch
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news