Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Friday, July 15th, 2016
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief
In the Know
July 15, 2016
3 days until the Republican National Convention
10 days until the Democratic National Convention
70 days until people can begin to vote by no excuse absentee ballot, Sept. 23
115 days until Election Day, Nov. 8
Events This Weekend
- July 16 – DFL State Disability Caucus welcomes two members of Minnesota’s recently elected Democratic National Committee delegation, Lori Sellner and JP Barone, for a listening session, a member meeting will follow, 1 PM, Rondo Community Library, University and Dale, St. Paul.
Mark your calendars
- July 21 – SD 66 Pot Luck, Please bring a dish to share, donations to for food shelf will also be collected, 6-8:30, Como Picnic Pavilion South in Como Park, 1199 Midway Parkway, 55103
- July 23 – Laurie Pryor campaign kick-off and door knock for HD 48A, 10-2:00 PM, Minnetonka DFL Headquarters, 14525 Hwy 7, Minnetonka, MN, suite 345. Paul Thissen will be joining us as a special guest speaker for Laurie. For more information: you can reach Madeleine Garces at or
- July 23 – Senate District 13 DFL 4th Annual Golf Scramble and Social; River Oaks Golf Course, Cold Spring, MN. More Info.:
- July 24 – DFL Senior Caucus Family Picnic, 12-3, Brookview Park, Golden Valley.
- Aug. 2–4 – Farmfest, Gilfillan Estate Farm near Redwood Falls. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Farmfest is a large Ag show that attracts farmers and rural people from a good portion of Greater MN and it also showcases candidates for office by holding important forums. Congressman Peterson and Walz and their opponents, along with possibly some candidates from other congressional districts will participate in those forums. Anyone interested in volunteering at the DFL booth (hosted by CD 1, CD 7 and the state party), should contact DNC Member Lori Sellner, or. She is looking for two volunteers at all times, to work three hour shifts (8-11 a.m., 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.).
- Aug. 10 – SD 41 Annual Picnic, guests are asked to bring a non-perishable food item, 6PM, Kordiak Park, Columbia Heights.
- Aug. 16 – Congressman Rick Nolan’s Staff will hold Congress comes to you events in the 8thdistrict. From 10 to 11 AM at Virginia city hall, from 11:30 to 12:30 at Eveleth city hall, and from 1-2 PM at Gilbert City Hall.
- Aug. 25 – Sept. 5 – Minnesota State Fair. For information about volunteering with the DFL, go to this link.
- Aug. 30 – Congressman Rick Nolan’s Staff will hold Congress comes to you events in the 8thdistrict. From noon to 1 PM at Babbit City Hall and from 2-3 PM at Biwabik City Hall
- Sept. 8 – DFL EAST SIDE SENIOR CAUCUS, RX Rights/Mature Voices, 11:30, Sgt. Pepper’s Bar and Grill, 930 Helena Ave North, Oakdale
- July 15 – SD 12 candidate Russ Hinrich fundraiser, 6:30 – 8:30, Long Lake Lodge
16021 Long Lake Road, Brandon, MN
- Aug. 2 – Senate District 16 DFL Corn Feed 5:30-7:30, Suss/Marti Farm is located at 19650 270thSt., Lucan, Minnesota 56255
- Aug. 10 – SD 41 Annual Picnic, 6 – 9, Kordiak Park in Fridley. 1845 49th Avenue NE. Free but a $10 donation is appreciated. Bring a canned or packaged food item to help re-stock local food shelves
- Aug. 19, Hubbard County DFL Walleye dinner fundraiser on August 19th from 5 to 7 at the American Legion Club in Park Rapids
- Sept. 10 – Faribault County DFL Fundraiser, Bricelyn American Legion.
- Sept. 10 – Le Sueur County DFL Fall Fundraiser, Montgomery American Legion Hall.
- Sept. 18 – CD 2 DFL 15th Annual Classic. 4 p.m., The Wilds Golf Course, Prior Lake. More information is available here, Purchase Tickets.
- Sept. 18 – Vento Dinner, 4 PM, Prom Center.
- Sept. 25 – Rice County DFL’s 5th Annual Hotdish Dinner and cook-off fundraiser, 4 PM, Vintage Ballroom & Suites, 129 Central Avenue North, Faribault
A retracing of steps: Castile’s funeral procession winds through historic Rondo neighborhood, MPR
‘A seed that has been planted’: Philando Castile laid to rest, Pioneer Press
Thousands pay tribute to Castile: ‘His death is not in vain’, Star Tribune
Mourners gather at St. Paul Cathedral to remember Philando Castile, MinnPost
Black Lives Matter sets protest at Rosedale Center: ‘Let’s shut it down’, Pioneer Press
Protests For Castile Planned For Ramsey Co. Atty’s Office, Rosedale Ctr., WCCO
Minnesota Police Officer’s ‘Bulletproof Warrior’ Training Is Questioned, NY Times
At Castile stop, uneasy questions of race and police training, MPR
Police chief: Officers ‘valiantly’ tried to save Castile’s life, WFXG
Racial sensitivity training for Minnesota police has been six years in the making, Pioneer Press
Fiery debate over “warrior” training for officer in Philando Castile shooting, Pioneer Press
Nice Bastille Day Attack
‘Diving for their lives’: Terror along French Riviera kills at least 84, MPR
After Nice attack, officials warn that terror threats will stalk for ‘a long time’, Washington Times
Scores dead in terror attack on French national holiday, The Hill
Obama decries attack in France, The Hill
Hillary Rodham Clinton airs thousands of ads; Donald Trump, none, Nation Sun Journal
Democrats ‘freaked out’ about polls in meeting with Clinton, The Hill
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence emerges as likely pick, Star Tribune
A VP process spins out of control. Or did it?, Washington Post
5 things to know about Mike Pence, MPR
Trump on ‘horrific’ France attack: ‘Here we go again’, The Hill
After Nice, Newt Gingrich wants to ‘test’ every Muslim in America and deport those who believe in sharia,Washington Post
Gingrich calls for deporting Muslims who believe in Shariah, The Hill
Republican National Convention
GOP insiders expect convention mayhem, Politico
Minnesota’s Republican Delegates Expected To Line Up For Trump, WCCO
GOP squashes Never Trump rules proposal in heated hearing, The Hill
GOP convention organizers ask Adelson to cover $6M shortfall, The Hill
Obama rebuts Texas Lt. Gov. on support for police, The Hill
Garner daughter says she was ‘railroaded’ by ABC, The Hill
Feeling squeezed? Many others wedged into the same tight economic spot, MPR
Ginsburg regrets ‘ill-advised’ criticism of Trump, MPR
SENATOR FRANKEN: Franken’s staff hears investment struggles: Tour on infrastructure needs in Greater Minnesota brings politician aides to Bemidji, Bemidji Pioneer
LCV Action Fund Endorses Terri Bonoff for Congress, League of Conservation Voters
Mark Dayton, legislative leaders have special session agreement, ‘in principle’, Pioneer Press’
Dayton, legislative leaders resume talks for special session, Star Tribune
Dayton plans, Bakk remarks move focus again to pursuit of special session, Star Tribune
Update: Dayton assesses aftermath of Monday’s storms, thankful no lives were lost, West Central Tribune
Walz launches bid for leadership post on House Veterans Affairs Committee, Star Tribune
Old Stewart Mills Facebook posts are just as bro-tastic as you’d expect, City Pages
Groundbreaking marks start of airport project, International Falls Journal
Essar Steel Minnesota Announces New CEO, WDIO
Change at the top: Essar hires new CEO, Mesabi Daily News
Plenty of opposition at Twin Metals sulfide mine listening session, MN Progressive Project
Parents sue state, school districts over teacher tenure, MPR
What’s going on with redevelopment of St. Paul’s Ford plant site?, MinnPost
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/
daily brief · issues · news