Grow with Us Plant Sale!
Tweets by @DFL48
Get all of your garden needs and help support DFL48! This year, we’re offering you plant cards at both Gerten’s Greenhouses and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights and Wagner’s Greenhouse in Minneapolis and Bloomington.
Daily Brief: Friday, July 10th, 2015
Posted by SD48 DFL Communications Team in Daily Brief, News
In the Know
July 10, 2015
- 2 p.m. – Rep. Joe Atkins (DFL-Inver Grove Heights) and Rep. Dan Schoen (DFL-South Saint Paul) will hold a press conference to announce legislation banning the manufacture, sale and possession of gun shaped cell phone cases in Minnesota. Cell phone cases resembling handguns made recent news when U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) and numerous law enforcement agencies urged retailers to stop selling them and warned consumers not to purchase them. 10 a.m., Room 181, State Office Building, St. Paul.
- 2 p.m. – The Congressional District 2 DFL will host a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Legislative Issues Forum at the Galaxie Library, 14955 Galaxie Ave., Apple Valley. For further information, contact Terry Friedrichs, CD 2 Outreach/Inclusion Committee, at .
- 5: 30 p.m. – 3rd Annual Jackie Stevenson Dinner, Crown Plaza Hotel, Bloomington.
Mark your calendars
- July 14 – Minnesota Health Commissioner Ed Ehlinger will visit Forest Lake to host the latest in his series of popular “Pitch the Commissioner” events, in which he talks about public health with community members over a friendly game of horseshoes. The Washington County “Pitch the Commissioner” event will start with horseshoe pitching at 1 p.m. at the Forest Lake VFW, 556 12th St. SW, in Forest Lake. Participants can pitch their ideas to Commissioner Ehlinger about improving the public health in their community and how the state can help them accomplish their goals, while pitching horseshoes. The games of horseshoes will be followed by two presentations at Forest Lake City Hall, located at 1408 Lake Street South. The first presentation will be a 20-minute HealthUP! Community presentation by Fairview Health Services and their community partners. Commissioner Ehlinger will then lead a discussion on “What Does Minnesota Need to be Healthy?” Following the presentations, there will be an opportunity to visit and discuss the issues over refreshments.
- July 14 – The North Metro Chapter of the DFL Senior Caucus will meet at the Little Venetian Inn, Little Canada at 11:30 a.m. The guest speaker is Linda Hamilton, Minnesota Nurse’s Union.
- July 19 – Senate District 59 DFL hosts “A Picnic with the Party.” This free event is being held from 1 – 4 p.m. at North Commons Park, 1801 James Av. N., Minneapolis. Food, music and kids’ activities.
- July 25 – The Kanabec County DFL will host our annual Post-Parade Reception at the Masonic Hall,800 S Union St, Mora. The parade begins at 4:30 p.m. Join the Kanabec DFL for hotdogs and discussion.
- July 30 – The Minnesota Nurses Association would like to cordially invite you to the Medicare turns 50 Birthday BBQ Bash on Thursday, July 30 from 5 – 8 p.m. in St. Paul. Medicare is an American as apple pie (Protect Improve Expand Medicare) so join us for an all American birthday BBQ, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Medicare, one of the greatest social safety net pieces of legislation ever signed into law and what we hope to be the basis of a single payer system for our entire nation. Highland Park Picnic Shelter, 1227 Montreal Ave. St. Paul.
Jeb Bush and his allies amass an unprecedented $114 million haul, The Washington Post
Jeb Bush raised $8 a second during his first two weeks of candidacy, The Washington Post
Trump denies GOP chair asked him to tone down immigration comments, The Washington Post
Donald Trump is the monster that the GOP created, The Washington Post
Trump vows long campaign, won’t commit to backing GOP nominee, The Washington Post
Hillary Clinton’s economic agenda moves party to the left, New York Times
Jeb Bush announces unprecedented fundraising haul of $114 million, LA Times
The daily Cruz, Politico
Charlie Crist is “strongly considering” a run for David Jolly’s House seat after Florida’s Supreme Court ruled yesterday that the state needs to redraw congressional boundaries. The court’s ruling “nearly guarantees that a swing congressional seat will be redrawn” to include Crist’s home and a lot more Democrats, Politico’s Marc Caputo reports. “The court ruling could also force Rep. David Jolly, the incumbent Republican of the district in question, to forgo a reelection bid and instead try his luck with an open Senate seat.” Trial lawyer John Morgan, Crist’s longtime friend and boss: “The seat would be tailor-made for Charlie.” The Washington Post
Feds punish state for failing foster care standards, Star Tribune
Amid Rep. McCollum’s outrage, Confederate flag blows up spending bill for Interior Department, Star Tribune
South Carolina to remove Confederate flag, Star Tribune
GOP leaders yank bill after Confederate flag fracas, Politico
What the data says about Emmer’s voting record, Pioneer Press
House barely passes Kline education bill, mn progressive project
More hair news from Minnesota’s 8th CD, Pioneer Press
Map: How much $100 is really worth in every state, The Washington Post
Minnesota Legislature’s testing cuts came after too little discussion, Star Tribune
Minnesota steps up scrutiny of for-profit colleges, MPR
Editorial counterpoint: Yesterday’s funding ideas leave Minnesota stalled, Star Tribune
Minnesota home care worker union contract is underway, mn progressive project
Today in history
‘All I wanted was an apology,’ Pioneer Press
Major League Soccer
Mayor Coleman to Major League Soccer officials: Look at St. Paul, Star Tribune
St. Paul mayor giving Major League Soccer a tour of the Snelling bus barn, Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal
Soccer in St. Paul: Mayor pushes Snelling site for MLS stadium, Pioneer Press
MNsure billing woes frustrate, worry consumers, MPR
Dennis Flaherty: Study: Most Minnesotans trust their police officers, Pioneer Press
LIKE the Minnesota DFL on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL
Follow @MinnesotaDFL on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL
On INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/minnesotadfl
daily brief · issues · news